• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Grim.Badger

Clutch Cable Weirdness

Grim.Badger

I was driving on the motorway a couple of days ago, and out of boredom I lifted the clutch pedal, I don't know why I just did it without realising. When I let go the clutch pedal droped below the brake pedal, as if I'd losened off the nuts at the clutch arm end but I later checked them and they were fine and hadn't budged. The gears also became difficult to select as if the nuts had moved.

What happened :) Have I broken something?

axnutty

Sounds a bit odd....does the clutch still work/feel ok? Any weird noises at all? Cant see how it would have adjusted the locking nuts. When you lifted it it may have broken the clutch pedal spring. Thus making the pedal sit in a different position? But that wouldnt explain the gear change hardness.

steve@cornwall

perhaps the seatings, either on the bulkhead or on top of the gearbox were not properly located and held in place under cable tension. Lifting the cable released the tension? Try adjusting the cable and see if it all goes back to normal.

Grim.Badger
Sounds a bit odd....does the clutch still work/feel ok? Any weird noises at all? Cant see how it would have adjusted the locking nuts. When you lifted it it may have broken the clutch pedal spring. Thus making the pedal sit in a different position? But that wouldnt explain the gear change hardness.

Yes the clutch is still fine other than it feeling as if I'd adjusted the nuts, plus it's a new clutch so I know it's got to be a cable problem. The spring also seems fine.

perhaps the seatings, either on the bulkhead or on top of the gearbox were not properly located and held in place under cable tension. Lifting the cable released the tension? Try adjusting the cable and see if it all goes back to normal.

That's what I thought, I'll give it a go tonight or tommorow :)

vince

I don't know if you have a BE1 gearbox, but if you do check that the litle bushing (cylinder, 8mm diam by approx 3cm long) on the clutch arm (protruding outside the gearbox) is still in position.

I lost mine once when the cable broke, and is not fixed in any way other than the cable tension...

vince

Grim.Badger
I don't know if you have a BE1 gearbox, but if you do check that the litle bushing (cylinder, 8mm diam by approx 3cm long) on the clutch arm (protruding outside the gearbox) is still in position.

I lost mine once when the cable broke, and is not fixed in any way other than the cable tension...

vince

Nope, BE3, but cheers anyway :)

pug_ham

Maybe it has had a replacement clutch cable & it wasn't hooked on the pedal properly so when you lifted the pedal it dropped into place making it loose?

Graham.

Sign in to follow this