• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

Driveshafts, Hubs Etc. (advice Needed)

Mike Walker

My car is completely falling to peices at the moment :rolleyes:

Both front drop links and one wishbone have recently been replaced, now both driveshafts/CV joints have gone, the rear beam is shagged and now today on the way to work I heard and felt what I think is one of the wheel bearings going in quite a bad way. I couldn't pinpoint which one it was so i'm just going to replace the front hubs and driveshafts for 1.9 units and get the rear wheel bearings changed both sides.

I've ordered the hubs and driveshafts for a 1988 1.9. The car is a 1988 1.6, with the 1.9 engine but it retains the 1.6 box.

Will this combination of bits fit together ok both ends (will the 1.6 brakes fit?)

Also does anyone know if the front hubs will automatically come fitted with bearings?

The list of things i'll need are:

2 x driveshafts

2 x front hubs

2 x rear wheel bearing kit

New hub nuts front and rear

Tool for holding hub in place whilst undoing hub nut

Gearbox oil

Anything else i've missed?

Sorry for all the questions but if I don't get the car back on the road for tuesday i'm screwed!

Mike Walker

Should have searched more, just found a few threads stating that i'll need the 1.9 discs as well but the rest will work fine.

Doof

Dont bother with new hubs, just get some second hand 1.9 hubs and some bearings then take them to a garage and get them to press the bearings in for £20.

The 1.6 brakes won't fit the 1.9 hubs i don't think but then while your at it why not have a brake upgrade :rolleyes:

Mike Walker
Dont bother with new hubs, just get some second hand 1.9 hubs and some bearings then take them to a garage and get them to press the bearings in for £20.

The 1.6 brakes won't fit the 1.9 hubs i don't think but then while your at it why not have a brake upgrade ;)

I've just added up the cost of all of this if I were to buy new and its almost £400 :rolleyes:

Think i'm going to source a few parts second hand now - cheers for the advice :)

smckeown

yeah no need for NEW hubs, that's just pointless.

Rob_the_Sparky

Just make sure they are not oval where the wishbone joins to the hub, oh and 1.6 and 1.9 front brakes are the same diameter so really not an upgrade!

Mike Walker
Just make sure they are not oval where the wishbone joins to the hub, oh and 1.6 and 1.9 front brakes are the same diameter so really not an upgrade!

Just make sure what isn't oval? The actual hole that the balljoint pivot bit slots into?

I would keep the 1.6 brakes if I could to save money but it looks like I need the discs if i'm going to use 1.9 hubs.

pug_ham
Just make sure what isn't oval? The actual hole that the balljoint pivot bit slots into?

Yes, use all new bolts when you fit everything also as a worn bolt can accelerate the hub balljoint hole becoming oval.

TBH just fitting new wheel bearings to your 1.6 hubs & getting refurbished 1.6 driveshafts will be fine imo. You should get new hubnuts with the driveshafts.

To undo the hubnuts its best if you have use of a 1.9 GTi wheel or one that fits without the solid centre cap. Even with the wheels on the ground they can be mega tight.

Graham.

Mike Walker
Yes, use all new bolts when you fit everything also as a worn bolt can accelerate the hub balljoint hole becoming oval.

TBH just fitting new wheel bearings to your 1.6 hubs & getting refurbished 1.6 driveshafts will be fine imo. You should get new hubnuts with the driveshafts.

To undo the hubnuts its best if you have use of a 1.9 GTi wheel or one that fits without the solid centre cap. Even with the wheels on the ground they can be mega tight.

Graham.

Should the bolts have the same tensile strength of the original bolts (which I pressume would be quite high) as they could be a bitch to get hold of......

pug_ham

I usually use high tensile ones & they aren't that hard to get.

A decent motor factors should have them or know where you can find them locally. I get mine from my local Ripon Farm services outlet.

Graham.

Mike Walker
I usually use high tensile ones & they aren't that hard to get.

A decent motor factors should have them or know where you can find them locally. I get mine from my local Ripon Farm services outlet.

Graham.

Cool, i'll have a search for some - lots to do this weekend!!

kyunis

Once you have fitted the 1.9 hubs the discs will also need to be changed as the discs from the 1.6 hub wont fit as i experienced! So i went for an upgrade and got the gti-6 discs and calipers. Big improvement.

I may have some parts for you if required as you may have already purchsed some by now. Let me know.

Mike Walker
Once you have fitted the 1.9 hubs the discs will also need to be changed as the discs from the 1.6 hub wont fit as i experienced! So i went for an upgrade and got the gti-6 discs and calipers. Big improvement.

I may have some parts for you if required as you may have already purchsed some by now. Let me know.

Cheers but I did manage to get some hubs and driveshafts from Johnnie off this forum, almost removed front hubs but got stuck trying to seperate the track rod end balljoint from the hub carrier - going to buy a balljoint seperator tomorrow and carry on.

DirtyFlare

Ive done a search (before admins moan :lol: ), so does this mean that 1.9 front hubs will fit straight onto a standard 1.6 wihtout any additional parts being replaced?

I know that the discs will have to be changed, I just want to know so that i can upgrade them cheapily as uprated brakes for 1.6 arent so common.

jonnie205

Dont bother unless its an mi16 or gti6 etc as standard brakes are pretty good. To go 1.9 hubs you will need shafts too.

nick

Don't use a balljoint splitter because it will just knacker the rubber boot.

Buy a small chisel (or use an old screwdriver) and hammer it into the slot were the pinch bolt goes, this will spread it enough to let you lever the wishbone out of the hub.

Nick

Sign in to follow this