• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
roland rat

Uprated Headlight Bulbs

roland rat

i find the amount of light projected from my stantard bulbs sh*te to say the least so im thinking about upgrading to halfords super bulbs as they are buy 1 get 1 free :blink: .does anybody have any other recommendations on which bulbs to use?

cheers ash

Rippthrough

I have Phillips Visionplus and they are twice as good as the stock bulbs.

Bought them from powerbulbs.

-Phillip

steve@cornwall

150W in driving lamps (shhhhhh!!! naughty) some road signs can dazzle though, and it shows up a weak alternator- stereo cuts out when switching to high beam!!!!

danpug

I'm using visionplus too, alot better tha the standard items. A mate is using those halfords bulbs on offer and they look pretty good too so far from what i've seen of them.

Craigb

I use

100/55 PIAA p43 extreme white plus H291E

Not cheap , but worth every penny

SPGTi
I use

100/55 PIAA p43 extreme white plus H291E

Not cheap , but worth every penny

Show off :o

I use the 130w "rally" bulbs from Halfords. They seem OK. Remember though that unning high power bulbs can cause poblems for std wiring so you should really use a new wiring loom running through relays.

steve

johnrobertgordon

I run 130/80w in my head lights, 130w in my rallye 3000's and 130w in my lower driving lights. Its Bright!

bitchass 205
150W in driving lamps (shhhhhh!!! naughty) some road signs can dazzle though, and it shows up a weak alternator- stereo cuts out when switching to high beam!!!!

so thats whats going on!!!! I recently upgraded to phillips, or similar uprated, and not only did my stereo cut out but my battery light comes on very feintly!! i'm thinking of overhauling alternator soon anyhow.

only smarties have the answer, or in this case, steve has!!

dd_156ar

Osram Silver Star from powerbulbs.com

I also put brand new headlamp units in and these made a huge difference. I guess the reflective surface had dulled after 17 years and 150k miles.

Simes

Hope you've upgraded the wiring? When I fitted 100W ones and measured the current draw I soon removed them.

Just got to fit a relay in.

tomodling

i had 110/100w bulbs in for a while, they were awesome but on long journeys the current draw heated up the realy to the point where some times they would just refuse to switch from dip to main or vice verca

sometimes they would just cut out!

There was a guy on ebay selling upgraded headlight looms with an additional relay for using uprated bulbs. I think they were advertised for golf Mk2 fitment but would fit any H4 application.

tom

Bono

you do have to be careful with the current drain.

i possibly have far too many lights for the front of my car, in total if you switch them all on it draws 1kW.

For the bonnet pod i decided to use two 30A relays to be on the safe side :huh:

christopher

Anyone using yellow higher spec ones?

steve@cornwall
Hope you've upgraded the wiring? When I fitted 100W ones and measured the current draw I soon removed them.

Just got to fit a relay in.

To be honest, I hadn't even thought about it. Been working ok for about 8 years in two different cars (no, the 1st. one didn't spontaneously combust :) ) Would make sense to do so though!

DaveW

I used 80w sports blue with no problems at all.

Simes
I used 80w sports blue with no problems at all.

Feel the wiring behind after a couple of hours.

feb

Now using Philips 3-in-1. Previously had PIAA extra white, both very good but the PIAA significantly more expensive.

de Noir

I use Philips Premium which give nice bright white beam and are great value for given price.

DaveW
Feel the wiring behind after a couple of hours.

:rolleyes: that was 6 months of use too.....

Rob_the_Sparky

Personally I prefer to use road legal bulbs...

Currently using Halfords +50% and am pleased with them. However, I'd recommend making sure your lights are pointing the right way and your reflectors are upto scratch as well. No point in having good bulbs pointing at the floor or a brown reflector!

Rob

DaveW

Yes, getting the Phase 2 Valeo headlights as there nice and shiny inside.

steve@cornwall

Ahem! not showing an alternator prob. at all- cleaned & tightened the battery connections today and is now fine! :ph34r::D

joni

Anyone condsidered upgrading their alternator? I was wondering if i can get hold of an alternator beyond 70Amp from a standard pug car which will fit my 205.

I'm running relayed 160/100w ring rally sport bulbs which are awesome and make my 100w H2 oscar plus spots look rubbish. Thinking of wiring up both filaments of the H4 headlight bulb's to come on on main beam but realise this will need alot of current and a decent alternator.

jackherer

my friends 205 gti had problems with the headlights cutting out and I traced it to a melted multiplug going onto the main fuesbox, I assume a previous owner had high wattage bulbs at some point so that seems to be the weak spot. I have heard of the stalk failing from others but thats not my experience.

joni
my friends 205 gti had problems with the headlights cutting out and I traced it to a melted multiplug going onto the main fuesbox, I assume a previous owner had high wattage bulbs at some point so that seems to be the weak spot. I have heard of the stalk failing from others but thats not my experience.

If the bulbs are relayed with correct wiring this shouldnt be a problem. Any suggestions on a higher output alternator?

Sign in to follow this