• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim21070

Nissan 200sx Ecu Diagnostics

jim21070

My lad, bless is heart, is a relatively new owner of a very nice '98 Nissan 200SX (S14a). At 20 stone he is just too big for a Pug, any Pug :D

I'm having to rapidly learn about these machines and TBH, quite impressed with them. I'm not so impressed with the 6" exhaust that rattles the windows though and nor are the neighbours :)

He has, and by extension I, have a problem. It is running very rich. So rich that the plugs are black, it kicks out clouds of black smoke on deceleration, runs roughly and is showing signs of oil dilution. We both think the lambda Sensor may be duff but there are other things that may cause it so before spending out on bits I want to diagnose properly.

He downloaded an enormous PDF of a workshop manual from somewhere and this has been very absorbing reading for me just recently. I want to diagnose the problem and learn that there is a system called "CONSULT" to interrogate the ECU. Does anyone know anything about this? The interface cables seem freely available on Fleabay but no sofware by the looks of it althoug hints are given that sofware to run on a PC exists.

Thanks in anticipation...

Ryan

If you have a look around the SXOC forums there's loads on info on Consult there.

Afaik the usual cause of running rich is cracks in the intercooler pipework, especially the cast pipes where it joins the intercooler itself.

There is a peice off free osftware here, but I couldn'thow good/useful it is...

Edited by Ryan

jim21070

Thanks Ryan, much appreciated... :D

t16ryan

hey mate how far away are you i work at nissan and have consult 2 and brings up all fault codes?

welshpug

could be many things, air leaks, airflow meter faults, engine temp sensor, lambda sensor.

get a diagnostic check done to see if any errors or irregularities come up, also chech the connections to the sensors in question.

kyepan

used to own a pulsar, same engine, bar the throttle bodies.

doing a fault code check is simple.

here are the codes nicked from gtiroc.com

"Short out the two right pins in the grey plug under your fuse box (in cabin) when you have the car switched to ON (but not started) Short the wires for 3 seconds (the CHECK ENGINE light will turn off while you are shorting them out). The CHECK ENGINE light will flash a series which will indicate a code -

LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG (pause) SHORT SHORT SHORT SHORT SHORT - indicates 55 which is ALL CLEAR. If it flashes 34 its Det sensor, 21 Ignition circuit and I cant remember the other 2 off the top of my head . To clear the ECU codes, short the wires out again while it is flashing the code. If you leave it flashing the code and then start the engine you will have an inbuilt LEAN/RICH

indicator that works off your O2 sensor (which must be warmed up before it will do it).

Here's some of the other codes:

11 Crank Angle Sensor circuit

12 AFM circuit

13 Engine temp sensor circuit

21 Ignition signal circuit

34 Detonation sensor circuit

43 Throttle sensor circuit

55 No malfunction in the above circuits"

mine had a duff det sensor, it drank lots of petrol, and did not boost properly, as it was in limp home mode.

Justin.

Edited by kyepan

jim21070

Thanks all for the advice :)

I received a Consult cable/dongle yesterday after buying one from the 'Bay and attached a laptop to the car this afternoon. Very interesting and great to watch a screenful of gauges appear on the screen B) If only a 205 ECU would give the same :lol:

There is a peice off free sosftware here, but I couldn'thow good/useful it is...

Ryan, the piece of software you recommended is EXCELLENT. Far better than the freeware ConZult. Many thanks for that :lol:

No fault codes were logged and all sensors look normal except that the Lambda sensor output is up and down like a fiddles elbow. According to both the Manual and the SXOC forum this is pretty normal.

Problem is caused by an air leak and the aftermarket dump valve looks a very likely suspect.

Again, many thanks for all your help on this...

jim21070

And here was the probem. A cracked intercooler elbow.

Seems corrosion takes hold under the gasket which forces the flange apart and cracks it.

Now busy repairing it...

post-5512-1162663250.jpg

welshpug

what a damn good excuse for a FMIC.... :D

jim21070
what a damn good excuse for a FMIC.... :D

:o;):lol:

Sign in to follow this