• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jayblack-gti

Head Replacement Gone Wrong

jayblack-gti

Basicly a few weeks ago my cambelt snapped and upon removing the head id bent atleast 4 of the valves because there was no compression in either cylinder when i checked. so after buying another head from ebay for 16 quid, ive now had the head skimmed, done the valve stem seals and put the head back on the car.

Now heres the gutting part, theres a spacer that is used for the head bolt which is nearest the cam pulley and at the back of the head, i remembered to put this in but forgot there was another thick washer thing that is used like with the other 9 head bolts, so tighten everything down, then hear water gushing out so basicly ive put a small whole through the block where the water pump is.

shown in the pic below, i put the head bolt back in with the correct thick and thin spacers to show roughly how big the whole is

wholeinblockabovewaterpump.jpg

Can this little whole be filled up with any type of metal filler sealant because i really dont want to have to replace the whole block, i might just MI it if it cant be fixed :D

Jonmurgie

Oh man that's a killer... talk about a DOH! moment!

I guess you can try that magic metal stuff, though I've no personal experience of it on a block before so will see what others say...

ive used the araldite stuff before for a cracked housing from exactly the same issue, car dir ove 2000 miles before the guy sold it without issue

best excuse for an mi ive seen though!

jayblack-gti

yeah a DOH moment lol, I presume there is an epoxy adhesive out there that will set solid but just worried about the amount of pressure that the water puts on the block, i was thinking about just filling the whole of that area flush because im not going to remove the head bolts for a long time and im waiting for an insurance pay out so might break the car in the next 6-8 months anyways.

jay

jayblack-gti
ive used the araldite stuff before for a cracked housing from exactly the same issue, car dir ove 2000 miles before the guy sold it without issue

best excuse for an mi ive seen though!

Ive been wanting to do the MI conversion for well over a year now, just never had the excuse :) or space to do it, If i cant fix this weekend then its gonna be left for a month though because im going out to australia, lucky me :D cant wait

welshpug

IIRC the cooling system runs at 1bar max does it not? 14psi is sod all so some kind of heat resistant adhesive might work, or get someone to bung some weld on it??

futura

I would second the welding option if it's not too hard to get to. (but it does not look like it from the pic)

Bally

take out the bolt, clean the area with carb cleaner, rough it up and use metal epoxy. Will last till the engine/car dies

Edp

My mate did the exact same thing on an old GTi. We used chemical metal to plug the hole and it was good for about 10k before he sold it. Worth a try IMO.

jayblack-gti

Think ive sorted the problem with the help of some metal epoxy stuff, took the water pump out to check the whole and the chunk of metal that ive pushed through was sitting in the water pump housing, its only about the size of a penny so ive bonded it back in and covered it all over with the metal epoxy stuff, everythings all back together now and looking very new lol, just gonna give it till tomorrow to set properly before i fill the engine with coolant, turned engine over for a few seconds to get fuel through and check oil pressure, all ok, fingers crossed it holds, but should do, that stuff sets rock hard

Jay

Anthony

I've "fixed" an engine that someone did exactly this to using chemical metal, and it was fine for thousands of miles until he sold the car - you've nothing to lose by trying, put it that way :)

jayblack-gti

Cars running fine now, no leaks or anythin, feels so good to be driving her again after pottering about in my sis mk3 astra for 2 weeks, thought my car felt tired but her astra is a boat.

jay

Sign in to follow this