• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest rick03054

Trying To Refurb Driving Lights

Guest rick03054

My driving lamps were the usual corroded mess and were really letting the rest of the car down. I decided they could do with a bit of a spruce up so took them to bits and tried to sort what I had rather than shell out for new ones (you can call it being cheap, I call it being resourceful :rolleyes: ).

Once I had them apart I cleaned the lenses in some soapy water and that got rid of the orange crap that was inside them.

lens.jpg

Then on to the surrounds, what a mess! by the time I got rid of the rust there wasn't much to work with. One of them came out fine but the other one was a bit worse for wear, I painted it up anyway and stuck it in my 'to do' box. When it came out the box it had got 'slightly' worse... it snapped and generally fell to pieces.

knackeredsurround.jpg

I had a bit of luck and got some brand new genuine surrounds off ebay. So I got in tonight and feeling well pleased with myself decided to put them on and see how it looked.

Bloody nightmare! I must have aftermarket lights, the surrounds don't fit!

Doesntfit.jpg

Back to the drawing board then, does anyone know if there are different shapes of lens? Hopefully that would fit on the same housing? The screw holes line up but the corners are the wrong shape.

You know I still had the naivety to be surprised! :D:D

steve@cornwall

Those look rather like Renault driving lights, if I'm not mistaken. Try the local scrappy for clio / laguna models to compare.

Jonmurgie

For about £40 you can have a brand new pair so why bother? www.205parts.co.uk do them I believe :rolleyes:

Guest rick03054
For about £40 you can have a brand new pair so why bother? www.205parts.co.uk do them I believe :)
(you can call it being cheap, I call it being resourceful :P ).
That coupled with the fact that I just gave you all my spare money for this month!! :D:DB)

I have a lot of hammerite so I'll be painting plenty of thing to keep myself occupied, expect more 'look what I broke now' posts :rolleyes::P

oli-pug
For about £40 you can have a brand new pair so why bother? www.205parts.co.uk do them I believe :D

to save 40 quid :rolleyes:

might hav a go at this tomorrow, got a load of hammerite lying about

Guest rick03054
to save 40 quid :rolleyes:

might hav a go at this tomorrow, got a load of hammerite lying about

I'd recommend it, one looks not bad. A lot better than it was anyway.

Oldlight.jpg

cybernck

well if the reflectors are rusty, then there's no escape, you need new ones :rolleyes:.

p.s. they can be ordered via http://www.205gtidrivers.com website too :D.

Guest rick03054

The reflectors are fine!

Reflector.jpg

I wonder if it would work if I found someone with old lamps with rusted housings and lens, and put my good reflectors and surrounds on? The reflectors don't go right out to the corners anyway.

I did look at the advert on the main site. That'll be my last resort. :rolleyes:

cybernck
The reflectors are fine!

i didn't mean yours but in general :rolleyes:.

Baz

Yes why not if the reflectors are fine. :rolleyes: I've found that as long as the seals are used and in the correct place the reflectors are often ok. Just the outers that let them down, like my current ones on the Miami look perfect but the outers again are starting to corrode! Another job to do!! :D

steve@cornwall
well if the reflectors are rusty, then there's no escape, you need new ones :rolleyes:.

Only if they have crumbled, discoloured reflectors can be refurbed with shiny aluminium tape! I've been meaning to get some stick-on mirror (as advertised in those "inovation" catalogues you get from time to time in magazines) to try- but my ali-taped ones have so far held out well.

If that turns out well, I may even try moulding some fibreglass reflectors....Tight? me? :D

hengti

i'd have a go at this as well, but my lamps appear to be 'one piece' - ie. the lens is bonded to the reflector

pug_ham

If you have oe driving lamps you can still get the rims from Peugeot, at least you could last year because I got a load of them for people on here.

Graham.

steve@cornwall
i'd have a go at this as well, but my lamps appear to be 'one piece' - ie. the lens is bonded to the reflector

They all should be, gently pry thm open with a flat blade and remove all the sealant after. look better,imo, if refitted using a clear silicon sealant instead of the factory white

Phil H

those lights pictured are from either a 106 XS, 306 XSi , or Citreon ZX Volcane. Cibies I believe.

Alastairh

yep, Knew phill would get there before me.

The rounder style ones are fitted to the later french sproting vehicles like my old 106 xsi :) - R.I.P

I done the same as you when i first bought that car as the originals were smashed, went down the scrappy got a lens off a 306 derv, and painted the reflective bit then hammerite the frames (free paint in the garage) :)

But the normal square ones like on my and all 205s here which you can't take the glass out really without re sealing them.

Tbh Spend £40, save time messing about, as new ones do look the rather sweet. But word of warning they make your head lights and indicators look a bit old if there originals which involves you spending more money :D

Alastair

Sign in to follow this