• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeHunt79

Need A New Battery

MikeHunt79

Ok, the turbo derv has been great so far... only minor issues. Now my battery is dead, and I want to get another one, but I'm not sure what type I need. It says 0075 on my current battery, but it doesn't give an Ah rating or anything like that.

The pug in question is a '92 XRDT, which I'm sure needs a beefier battery than a GTI, so the question is, what sort do I need to get? I've got a torch that I know needs D size cells, but I'm clueless when it comes to my car. :) Also, are some brands better than others? I often leave the car stood for a week with no use, but I try and put a charger on there if I do.

Edited by MikeHunt79

boldy205

whats the matter Will? bike broken down!! :) take it to (drive to) Bristol Batterys. they will take a look and get u a new un! ( call them 1st MIND) should find there number in the phone book or Web.

Guest BrainFluid

It doesnt really matter that much, I've had a lower amp battery on my td for a while now and I've had no problems.

Its only because the starter motor on a diesel draws more power so they stick a higher amp storing battery on there so you get the same (ish) ammount of time turning over untill the battery is dead as you would with a petrol, but Ive always found that diesels star much quicker than a petrol anyway so.....

Oh, and if your ever going to leave the car standing for a while, just take a moment to take the quick release clamp off a terminal and your battery will stay fully charged untill you need to use the car again! :)

MikeHunt79

Cheers boldy, my next question was gonna be where's a good place round 'ear... I tried halfords the other day but they seemed pricey (as always). The bikes fine, but now it's more dark and rainy the Pug might be getting a bit more use. :lol: I'll give 'em a ring tomorrow (MIND), it's by St. Pauls isn't it?

Brainfluid - Cheers for the tip. The only thing is, even with the clamp disconnected from the battery terminal, a lead acid battery will still go flat on it's own. Also, it makes the clock go wrong, and I can't be having that can I. B)

It would be nice if we could get Lithium-ion batteries for our cars as they will hold a standing charge for well over 10 years, and they are much lighter, but there is the slight issue of them exploding if they are shorted or damaged in sone way. :)

Edited by MikeHunt79

Guest BrainFluid
The only thing is, even with the clamp disconnected from the battery terminal, a lead acid battery will still go flat on it's own. Also, it makes the clock go wrong, and I can't be having that can I. :rolleyes:

Yes, of course it will, what I should have said is that the battery will stay charged for longer if there is nothing connected to it that is drawing power and therefore hastening the discharge rate :D

If you were to disconect the battery however (and took an extra minute to fix the clocks time) you wouldnt have to keep buying a new battery because you keep ruining it by letting it discharge too much in-between charging. If you want a lead acid battery to last, you would never let its charge drop below 12.4v as thats when Sulfation starts.

Oh, if you want a cheap battery take a multi meter to the scrap and take a newish looking one with a good charge in it of over 12.4 at the very least. Expect to pay £5 - £10 depending on how mean the scrappie is!!!

Good luck dude!

Nate.

Sign in to follow this