• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Cr = 11.5:1

driversdomainuk

Hi

As my bottom end is well on its way to being fully rebuilt and whilst the engine is in bits I have decided to increase the CR to 11.5:1 whilst the head is off, in preparation for my 288 degree Catcam (saves time and money you see :blink: )

I know it is not ideal increasing the CR before fitting the cam. However, to compensate I am going to retard the timing slightly until it goes in.

I would like to know, Are there any other precautions I should focus on to ensure I dont bugger the engine in this interim time...? what about fuel..? will the engine feel/run much differently..?

thanks

Dazza

Ok is this a single cam ? 1.9 gti ?

How are you intending to R/C ,,,skimming the head or forged piston's ?

Before you fit a 288 cat cam is there a greater valve lift with these and have you inquired as to tollerences form TDC and valve head ? ideally you want to make sure there's 1-1.5 mm clearance imo as to build in a safe margin of BANG clatter at higher rev's ..

Dazza

Edited by Dazza

driversdomainuk

"Ok is this a single cam ? 1.9 gti ?"

Hi

Yes it is the genuine and original 1.9 205 GTI engine - the way things should be, if its an 8v its still a "205 GTI" in my book ;) not saying the 16v is bad, I just like to know I running the engine the original car was designed to use and became great with.

enough of my bollox! I digress :)

I am getting the full kit with the cam including the pulley and retainers/springs so I would imagine this will sort any problems out....However, it is the time in between I will need to be careful about!

In reply to your question - I am having the head skimmed to increase CR

cheers

Edited by driversdomainuk

Dazza

My advice would be ,speak to your supplier and check the tollerences requires at TDC to Valve head on both Exhaust and Inlets , Check the origional head depth (Haynes manual) or supplier will know this in mm , then you can do some calcs to atchieve your C/R and Tollerences .At some point there is a max you can achieve as there must remain a tollerence and then if your going mad there will be Pocketting the piston's issue's but you can loose C/R s by doing this if your not careful .

Interesting stuff but you do need to raise the C/R to maximise your gain's the cam alone isnt enough .

If your getting to 11.5 or even 12's thats seriously in the ball park !!!!!!!!!! but volitile !!!!!!!!!....

All the best Dazza

petert
My advice would be ,speak to your supplier and check the tollerences requires at TDC to Valve head on both Exhaust and Inlets , Check the origional head depth (Haynes manual) or supplier will know this in mm , then you can do some calcs to atchieve your C/R and Tollerences .At some point there is a max you can achieve as there must remain a tollerence and then if your going mad there will be Pocketting the piston's issue's but you can loose C/R s by doing this if your not careful .

What for? It's an 8V. The valves will never hit the piston unless the belt breaks. Getting the CR in the 11 to 11.5 range will be excellent. I set 11.5 as the max. limit for std. pistons however. I hope you've got a mappable ECU, otherwise you'll have problems with too much advance down low.

Dazza

Pete forgive me ,i was just up when i wrote my post and got side tracked with my Mi16 advice given to me from my engineer ......iam sure youll forgive me .....

Thanks guy's dazza

petert

Hmmm... that's strange. There was a response from Puma here not so long ago...........

cybernck

yes, but it was removed due to complaints from users.

Sign in to follow this