• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Custom Dashes.

Richie-Van-GTi

Now Im keeping the track toy Ive decided I should take the autometer gauges out the 306 and pop them into the 205 in a custom dash. Which prompts a few questions..

1) My cage is currently mounted about 2 inch back of its intended position to retain the original dash as much as possible, do I really need to keep the vents that blow onto the door windows? Im intending on PC windows anyway. I will keep a glass screen upfront and retain blowers up there.

2) Anyone got any pictures of custom dashes? I want a few ideas.

3) Can I change the 3 buttons for fogs/hazards and rear screen heat to toggle switches? If so which wires do I short and which do I switch? Guess I can ditch the heated screen if I go PC?

4) If I made it from lightweight wood and covered in flock would it be lighter than say chequer plate or wqould it be too weak and rattley?

5) I dont have oil temperature, how important will this be, Ive never got it above a 1/4 yet.

6) Should I bother with the dash symbols such as the 'STOP' or brake fluid light, directional indicators etc or just focus on the gauges for speed, oil press etc?

Another random question, who uses an aftermarket steering wheel in a non PAS 205? How small is it and how useable is it? I have a small 'D' shape wheel in the 306 which I may swap into the 205 as well but worry it may become a little hard on sharp bends for quick steering?

mbayley77
Now Im keeping the track toy Ive decided I should take the autometer gauges out the 306 and pop them into the 205 in a custom dash. Which prompts a few questions..

1) My cage is currently mounted about 2 inch back of its intended position to retain the original dash as much as possible, do I really need to keep the vents that blow onto the door windows? Im intending on PC windows anyway. I will keep a glass screen upfront and retain blowers up there.

2) Anyone got any pictures of custom dashes? I want a few ideas.

3) Can I change the 3 buttons for fogs/hazards and rear screen heat to toggle switches? If so which wires do I short and which do I switch? Guess I can ditch the heated screen if I go PC?

4) If I made it from lightweight wood and covered in flock would it be lighter than say chequer plate or wqould it be too weak and rattley?

5) I dont have oil temperature, how important will this be, Ive never got it above a 1/4 yet.

6) Should I bother with the dash symbols such as the 'STOP' or brake fluid light, directional indicators etc or just focus on the gauges for speed, oil press etc?

Another random question, who uses an aftermarket steering wheel in a non PAS 205? How small is it and how useable is it? I have a small 'D' shape wheel in the 306 which I may swap into the 205 as well but worry it may become a little hard on sharp bends for quick steering?

Regarding the toggle switches - just retain your original switch and switch it to the on position and insert your toggle switch onto the live wire. Job done with minimum wire cutting.

sonofsam

Im going to be building a one piece custom aluminium dash @ some point, have been looking into a few things:)

Flocking is not something you can really do DIY, however there are companys that can do it for you. ££??

I think wood maybe a little heavier than chequer plate.Im going for L331 wich is aircraft spec aluminium.

Dont have oil temp+pressure or a rev counter at the moment, not finding it a problem really

Also I have a 300mm steering wheel with no PAS and plenty of Turbo torque..not finding that a problem either, parking is easy..come on its only a small car:D

Yes I think a few dash symbols would be nice:)Maybe just a few LED's or something.

Sean has a custom dash doesn't he and so does Shiney racing's car

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/cbs_products_index.htm also do a custom dash in carbon fibre or flock..Cant find it

on there site at the mo, but im sure its there:)

smckeown

do I really need to keep the vents that blow onto the door windows?

Not in my experiance, both mytrack cars have not had them and they have been fine

2) Anyone got any pictures of custom dashes?

Some pics..same dash OE vs. custom dials:

dash.jpg

dials3.jpg

Guess I can ditch the (rear) heated screen if I go PC?

Yes

Made what exactly ?

Very, hot oil is more likely for a track car and needs to be monitored

I'd keep them, if you're sticking with the OE ECU

Another random question, who uses an aftermarket steering wheel in a non PAS 205?

I have an OMP Supertourismo ~330mm without PAS and it's fine..don't be a pussy :rolleyes:

Richie-Van-GTi

cool some good feedback and links, thanks.

Smckeown, Im literally binning my dash and just having a nice basic dash to cover all the wires and mount the switches into. Oh and I think Im binning the ecu as well now in favour of carbs...mmmmm noisy with group N exhaust

Sign in to follow this