• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lil Black Pug

Heater Control Elec Fault...?

Guest Lil Black Pug

The little pug project for teh Mrs has been going great, got loads of very helpful info from this site but now having a few probs. Battery has been flat a few times in the last month or so. Got a few spares about so ive been changing them and re-charging them as required. Got a replacement alternator now and will fit it over the weekend. Thought this would def fix the problem. Since this problem we havent used the stereo/amps etc.

So the mrs picks me up from the station last night, I glimpse at the dash and see the battery symbol has a slight glow to it? Got home left the car running and thought id check it out for myself. Played about with all the electrics switching on and off etc. The symbol only illuminates when the heater is on? :D

Is there a common elecxtrical fault on teh heater? The only electrical part would be the fan yeah? :lol:

pug_ham

This is a common thing when the heater is one along with other electrical drains (stereo,lights etc) mine does it on the TD & several people have posted about it before saying theirs do the same.

Graham.

pee vee

and it still seems a mystery why they do it! lol

one guy has posted that his gti has done it since brand new!

RobMGti

Had this happen on 2 gti's, fixed both times by either replacing or refurbishing the alternator but as Graham said its not always a bad thing, more of an annoyance.

Rob

Guest Lil Black Pug

ok ill replace it sunday and see if that cures it, im by no means a mechanic but can be handy with a spanner, just cant understand how the heater can be drawing that sort of current? If you have had the same problems dos your battery empty aswell? carrying a spare in teh rear all teh time at the mo.

Then again im struggling to understand the logic behind much of the niggles with these little things. (Welcome to Pug ownership) Everyone said BMW engines were really a pain, wouldnt say ive mastered them but I can understand why things are happening and normally how to fix them.

Mrs is talking about a dog wagon now so might be getting rid of the littl 'un after xmas.

RobMGti

No my battery never emptied, as said above a glowing light can sometimes never materialise as an actual fault that will affect the running of the car.

The XU engines can be a pain, but after living with 3 now i find they are alot simpler to work with than some.

As you said...

Welcome to the party...

Sign in to follow this