• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lagonda

Lower Mount Position

lagonda

Finally managed to remove old mount & press new one in. Problem is, the link that attaches this to the subframe is at an angle. Effectively, it appears that the engine is sitting half an inch or more to the offside.

There doesn't seem to be much scope for adjustment with the upper engine mountings ... anyone come across this problem before? The only other way round I can see would be if the position of the subframe itself is incorrect, but I'm reluctant to mess with that as presumably that would mean issues with steering/suspension geometry.

jackherer

did you remove the fork from the subframe? There is another hole it can go into, sounds like you may have it in the wrong one?

Alastairh

Yeah sounds like some of the wholes arent lined up properly.

You will need to use some force to pull the engine to the front of the car to get the mount in (done it the other day). But double check you've got the bolts in the right place.

lagonda

I have taken the fork off, and put it back, in the same position. I think I know the hole you mean, but that would make the problem worse as that one is to the nearside of the one being used. It would also move the bottom of the engine rearwards far enough back to cause exhaust fitting trouble, so I don't think it's that. The hole it's in at present is the one nearest the wishbone. The car is a CTi incidentally, so the subframe may differ from a GTi.

Alastairh

Tbh mate, it sounds like you've got your nickers in a twist.

I've Just double check as i have an engineless shell on the drive but you do have the correct hole, so you must not of mounted it to the engine right?

lagonda

Perhaps I should have made it clear: this isn't a problem that's arisen since replacing the lower mount. It has been like this since I got the car 3 odd years ago. The fork is at such an angle to the mounting that it has worn some of the aluminium of the mounting housing away!

lagonda

Update! I've removed the battery tray, drilled out the broken mounting stud & repaced it with a bolt & nut, greased the bottom of the mounting & then reassembled everything loosely. If I relieve some of the engine weight & pull the whole assembly to the nearside, it all moves over, but then settles back.

The nearside mounting bolt & stud now sit centrally in the oval holes of the mounting. As far as the offside mounting goes, the centre mounting stud is in line with the mounting studs for the rubber buffers.

I can't see that there is any adjustment with the offside mounting: assuming there isn't, then everything appears fine, except that the lower mounting STILL doesn't line up AT ALL! The yoke is at such an angle that the centre bolt won't go through both fork eyes. It did with some force with the old lower mount, but that was only because the rubber in the old mount was soft as s**t.

I can only conclude that as the upper mountings appear OK that somehow someone has bolted the subframe up too far to the nearside of the car. Is it possible for it to be that far out? It needs to move to the offside at least half an inch! Any thoughts?

Guest rick03054

Do you think you could get in there and take a picture? Says a thousand words and all that...

lagonda

Hi,

Taken some pictures but have spent 3 hours trying to get them to appear here! Could try emailing them to you if you let me have email address, or perhaps someone can let me into the secret of getting them onto the forum. Tried looking at forum rules but don't have a host or any clue as to what that means. Sorry, know lots about cars but brainspace for computer topics is severely limited.

petesy71

hi lagonda, i've recently posted a few images using imageshack and its been pretty straightforward, here's the guide i used.

begin your post,then when you want to insert an image use your browser to go to 'http://www.imageshack.us'.click on browse to go to the image in your computer and click 'open'. then click on 'host it'. then click inside the box 'thumbnail for forums(1)' which will highlight the address.hold down 'ctrl' and click 'c',which will copy the address.then go back to your post and hold down 'ctrl' and click 'v' which will paste the address to your post.use 'preview post' to check it has worked. for more images just repeat the above.

hope you find this helpful, pete.

jackherer

this is a picture that lagonda sent to me.

post-3-1162345553.jpg

lagonda

Thanks Petesy71, have noted for the future. Jackherer kindly helped me this time round.

There's another picture to come, but hopefully the problem is clear enough in the picture in the previous post. In case it's not clear, this is a shot from directly beneath the engine. To the left is the nut loosely on the bolt going through the eye of the yoke where it bolts through the subframe. The visible part of the yoke is to the right of that, followed by the aluminium of the lower mount itself, appearing as a bright creamy brown rectangle under the gaze of my imaginitive lighting arrangement! And no! the subframe is not in fact rusty as hell, it's the usual black oily mess. If it looks a bit odd it's because the sump is off.

Hopefully it's clear from this that the lower mount, yoke, and subframe hole do not line up at all. In case it makes a difference, the car is a CTi, & hasn't been involved in an accident serious enough to put things out of true.

jim205GTI

AS silly as it sounds try looosening the gearbox mount and see if it aligns then. I had the problem when i dropped the mi in as i left the lower mount in when i took the old engine out ( :blush: silly i know but it worked and i didn't need to faff around with the shafts :):P ) loosened the gearbox mount and it lined up so affixed the lower mount to the engine properly then tightened up the gearbox mount! worked for me :blush:

lagonda

Have already tried that, even greased gearbox mount to help it find its own place. ended up with studs in centre of oval holes of mounting, so all would seem spot-on there. Could try jacking gearbox, leaving that mount loose, then bolting lower mount up & see if fixing gearbox mount last resolves things.

lagonda

So...I've tried previous suggestion & there's no improvement.

I've removed the nearest subframe mounting bolt, the one to the offside chassis leg, and the bolt (as expected) is a pretty snug fit in the subframe. That means that loosening the subframe to change its position will only gain me an eighth of an inch at most instead of the half inch or more required.

As already stated, the upper mountings seem fine so the answer has to lie elsewhere. Could the subframe have been changed for an incorrect one from another model? Remember, althought this is a CTi, Peugeot in their infinite wisdom used the base model suspension & subframe type, so the lower suspension arm is mounted on a single, not double pivot, and there are no links to the struts.

Another thought is, is there any room for adjusment sideways of the lower mount/intermediate driveshaft bearing housing where it is bolted to the block? As they seem to dowel everything I would anticipate that's unlikely, but then I'm running out of ideas.

Any thoughts, anyone?!

jackherer

heres the other pic, sorry for the delay in posting it...

I've put a gti subframe on a cti before and the engine mount was in the same place (obviously, as the engines are the same) but I don't know where base models (either TU and XY engines) have their mounts so I guess its possible you have a base model subframe fitted.

You're right that the intermediate bearing housing isn't adjustable due to the dowels, nothing is adjustable other than the gearbox mount really.

I assume you've checked that the gearbox is tightly attached to the engine?

post-3-1162494694.jpg

lagonda

Yes, all gearbox-engine bolts are tight. The changed subframe scenario is unlikely as I have a fairly complete service history for the car. Also I assume the similar hole to the nearside and rear of the CTi/GTi lower mount yoke is the alternative for the other models ... perhaps though dimensions may have changed with different model years?

Any chance anyone out there has a CTi & is fairly local to Thames Ditton? A look at another car could resolve this!

jackherer
Also I assume the similar hole to the nearside and rear of the CTi/GTi lower mount yoke is the alternative for the other models ...

unlikely as the gti subframes have that hole too and there were no 205s with gti subframes and non-xu engines with the possible exception of the euro 1.3 rallye.

Sign in to follow this