• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattmk1

Worth Changng Ecu ?

mattmk1

Hi all,

Basically a few months back i converted my 92 1.6 gti to 1.9 power. Due to only having a 1.6 AFM and ECU i ran the 1.9 engine with 1.6 ECU and AFM.

The car runs very well, Idling nicely -(if a little too slow 750 rpm), and pulling strongly through the revs to around 6k rpm.

I now have a 1.9 ECU and AFM and am basically wondering wether its worth fitting them. The only thing i can grumble at is the fuel consumption - around 26 mpg on Ultimate.

Ive driven a good number of GTIs and normally when the afms and ecus are mismatched, they run very roughly, Mine doesnt seem to care.

So what do you reckon, will i see any benefit of swapping to the 1.9 AFM and ECU??

Cheers

matt

pug_ham

Swap the ecu for the right one, using the 1.6 ecu on a 1.9 makes it over fuel. Fittingthe right one should help your economy but is the vacuum advance capsule working on the dizzy?

Graham.

mattmk1
Swap the ecu for the right one, using the 1.6 ecu on a 1.9 makes it over fuel. Fittingthe right one should help your economy but is the vacuum advance capsule working on the dizzy?

Graham.

cheers ill swap them over this afternoon. The vacuum advance is working o.k.

mattmk1
cheers ill swap them over this afternoon. The vacuum advance is working o.k.

Swapped the ECU and afm and there is a very noticeable difference in the car, it drives much much more smoothly and seems to rev easier and stronger. Time shall tel if it has altered the MPG but at least the car is now much nicer to drive!

Thanks again,

Rob_the_Sparky

Would be a good idea to make sure you are using 1.9 injectors as well (yellow top).

mattmk1
Would be a good idea to make sure you are using 1.9 injectors as well (yellow top).

Yeah all the other bits have been swapped, i just used my old afm and ecu as i didnt have any 1.9 items at the time.

The cars developed a fast idle when warm so i need to look into that, but it seems it maybe a throttle problem as the revs are slow to drop when the throttle is blipped?

pug_ham
The cars developed a fast idle when warm so i need to look into that, but it seems it maybe a throttle problem as the revs are slow to drop when the throttle is blipped?

Check your throttle switch clicks closed when the throttle is at rest.

Some are set so they don't close to mask the jumpy low speed running.

Graham.

mattmk1

Yeah the throttle sensor clicks the instant the throttle moves or is touched, so i know thats working o.k, its either the SAD or the throttle return spring has lost its sprung!!

Sign in to follow this