• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205mattgti

Fuel Tank

205mattgti

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to change a fuel tank in a 2051.9gti.

My current tank has a hole in it at the top and needs replacing.

How do i remove the old tank and is it possible to do it on a drive way with a ramp to put the rear of the car up in the air.

any help appricated

cheers matt

Guest rick03054

How did your tank get a hole in it? :(

It's easily doable on a diveway, although better on axle stands rather than a ramp, you have to take the handbrake cables off to drop the tank.

First take the far right fuse out while the car's running, this depressurises the fuel system.

Then undo the connectons for the fuel pump and sender inside the car. Take the handbrake cables off the handle, then under the car take the beam strap off, remove the two nuts holding the rear of the tank, undo the jubilee clip in the wheelarch securing the tank to the filler pipe.

Lever the rear of the tank down then pop all the hoses and breathers off the top of the tank. Yank the tank off, it'll be stuck in there with crap so needs a good pull.

mi16nut

Are you sure it has a hole? Could well be one of the breathers has popped off as mine did a few years back. I just araldited it back in. Most likely you'll have to either remove or drop the rear part of your exhaust down too.

Remember to do it with as little petrol in the tank as you can.

Mark.

205mattgti

I am running twin webber carbs and have a facet fuel pump, i plan to use the pump to drain the fuel. Has anyone got a pic of where the breathers are. I am sure i have a hole in the top of the tank as when i fill it up, it leaks out of the top of the tank, once it gets near the top.

cheers matt

mi16nut

No pics, sorry. There are two breathers on the top of the tank, but you'll have to pull it off to see.

Can't see a hole appearing on top apart from the breather popping out. Mine used to seep out when more than 3 quarters full.

Ritmo

I had to use ramps and found it was quicker to drop down to whole exaust from the manifold!

remember to check the condition of the inner cills at the rear just at the edge of the tank for rot as I had to weld mine for an mot and also condition of the brake pipes behind the tank. :lol:

Ritmo

Sign in to follow this