• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
himbigchief

Snapped Seat Bolts

himbigchief

I've been trying to get 2 snapped seat bolts out of the front of Project Goodwood for a while now, and I can't get them shifted. I have tried drilling through and removing them using screw extractors, but the bolts didn't budge and the screw extractor snapped in the bolt. Great! :(

I'm thinking about going and getting one of those can/blow torch things and trying to heat it up. Anyone else got any other ideas before I take a torch to my car?!

James

welshpug

which bolt are you trying to remove? can you see it from underneath?

himbigchief
which bolt are you trying to remove? can you see it from underneath?

It's both front ones on the drivers seat. The heads have been drilled off and the seat removed (prior to me receiving the shell). I have tried gettign mole grips on and undoing it, but it was wedged in tight. I have now taken an angle grinder to the cross member and removed the bolt and captice nut, and have refitted the seat using some larger washers to spread the force and a standard 12mm nut with collar.

Hopefuly this will work fine! :(

Guest BrainFluid

I trust you squirted some WD40 in there and gave them a little shock before trying to turn them out?

himbigchief
I trust you squirted some WD40 in there and gave them a little shock before trying to turn them out?

Tried everything except heat mate! Had them soaking in penetrating fluid for days, still didn't make any difference! I think the threadloc may have been a bit tight!

All sorted now though! :(

Guest BrainFluid
Threadlock

Good point. Quess what I wont be using when I plumb my new sexy half leathers into the Gti!!!

Guest rick03054

I had such a nightmare with a couple of seat bolts a while back I gave up and drilled new holes! They lined up with the seat subframe and went though the plate under the car so should be just as secure as it was originally.

AJC

just follow to belt and it will lead you to a bolt

Sign in to follow this