• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Irish Al

Base Car

Irish Al

Hi all, just joined today.

Looking to build a 205 track car over the next year.

Looks like theres a lot of info on this forum and I will read the appropriate guides/info etc as the project goes on.

Firs stage for me is to decide what type of 205 to buy, takeing into account it will be getting fully striped down and have a different engine put in when built up.

Can I just get a basic 205 1.4 to start with or am I best going for a 1.9 GTI.

Thanks

Al

P.S Does anyone know what the most powerful engine that is a straightish swap that can be put into a 205.

BERTMAN

probably to get a GTi is your best bet, the rear arched are different so you can put a wider track rear axle on the back, better suspension...

Kev-G

Buy the best condition shell that you can - Everything else will be replaced.

Good thing is that you are not bothered about MOT/Tax ie. lower price.... :D

Since you are just along the road, let me know if there are any parts which you require..

Irish Al

Kev, am sure there will be plenty of parts/advice i will need over the next year so will be in touch.

Is there ever any local mets arround here.

Back to the base car, is there a difference in a basic shell of a 205 or are they all the same with different spec.

If they are all the same Ill be best to go for a blown up 1.4 owned by miss daisy rather than a gti which has been well used.

Al

cybernck

earlier TU-engined cars (non-GTI or non-diesel) will have a different location

of top engine mount (not to mention even earlier XY-engined ones), but later

TU-engined cars have the same top engine mounting position as the GTI.

this is something that can be sorted out by cutting the "cup" out and welding it

back in the different spot.

some people say that diesel engines stress the shell much, but i don't how true

is it, maybe someone can comment on this?

non-GTI cars also have smaller rear arches, but you can easily cut them out.

i take it you'd like to have wider arches than GTI's anyway (e.g. Rallye-style).

front wings are slightly different too.

oh and if you get a car with basic dashboard clocks, you'll have quite a bit of work

to convert it to use GTI's dash with rev-counter and additional gauges. again,

not a problem if you're going to use aftermarket stuff :D.

that would be it i think - hope this helps :huh:.

Guest TSL 333

Al,

I did not fully realise what you were after. Depending on how far you want to go/ what your technical ability is, you would probably be best going for a 1.9 GTI as it has the rear discs already.

Also, the GTI's (1.6 & 1.9) as far as I understand, have a slightly different rear beam so this may sway your decision.

If you are looking for a new car, you could go up to Knockhill on a trackday and look for any notices in cars. Dates are as follows:

http://www.knockhill.com/trackdays/schedule.php

Finally, Kev G above mentioned the issue of non MOT'd cars on the track. Not wanting to worry anyone or spread any rumours however it is my understanding that as of next year, cars participating in Hot Hatch days (which are to be re-named) are to be road legal.

Hope this helps.

All the best, Stephen.

Edited by TSL 333

Kev-G

TSL 333,

With regards to MOT, I only meant for the original purchase - No MOT/Tax should be MUCH cheaper.

Irish Al,

OlberJ from this forum has 205 for sale with a re-built Mi, 1.6 'box w/Mi Final Drive, cage, seats + prob. more - VERY good deal.

Irish Al

Am confuffled now

TSL, was you car a 1.6 or a 1.6GTI with an MI16 engine ??

Whats best, an MI16 or a 1.9GTI.

Where does an MI16 engine come from, I thought it was a 2.0 GTI 306 ???

Will definately keep looking for a GTI base car (not a standard 205) , and once I get my head round all these models/engine specs i can move on and hopefully buy one before xmas.

Al

Guest TSL 333
Am confuffled now

TSL, was you car a 1.6 or a 1.6GTI with an MI16 engine ??

Whats best, an MI16 or a 1.9GTI.

Where does an MI16 engine come from, I thought it was a 2.0 GTI 306 ???

Will definately keep looking for a GTI base car (not a standard 205) , and once I get my head round all these models/engine specs i can move on and hopefully buy one before xmas.

Al

In response:

My car is a 1.6 GTI with a 1900cc, 8valve, injection taken from a Citreon BX GTi/ Peugeot 405 SRi ;)

An Mi 16 is the superior car when compared with the 1.9 GTi as the Mi16, as the name suggests has the 16v version of the 1.9 GTi. Hopefuly you follow!!!

As far as I know, the Mi16 engine comes from either the Citreon BX GTi 16 or the Peugeot 405 Mi16 (or a 306, 16v model - I am not sure.) I understand that there is no such thing as a 205 Mi16 from the factory although I could be wrong. ;)

Hope this helps!!! :o

PS, mine has the same torque as an Mi16 up to 5,000 revs (then the Mi16 pulls away!!!) :P

Edited by TSL 333

foreigner

So getting the best shell be the best option as far as I can see in order to build reasonable car.

Is it ok to get any 3 door 1.1 and work with it or there are some problems??

Edited by foreigner

cybernck

have you not read my detailed post then? :o

foreigner
have you not read my detailed post then? :)

sorry I am bit slow theses days (driving automatic astra).

SO THE ANSWER IS YES

THANX

Adnic69

oooooooo.

an we just complicate this more and add the turbo technice 1.9 gti and also the GTI-6 conversion. Oh yeah and the 2.0 turbo conversion.

Just get a 1.9gti as your base car and start from there!

sorry I am bit slow theses days (driving automatic astra).

SO THE ANSWER IS YES

THANX

Sign in to follow this