• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huzzer

Wet Liner Seal Failure?!

huzzer

Have replaced head gasket with a skim 1000 miles ago. I pretty sure I didnt dislodge the liner seals but suddenly today I have mayo in the filler cap and water in the oil with coolant loss.

Is the head gasket and the liner seals the only way in for water to get into sump??!!! :D

(have searched and searched for this but no definitive answer)

Richie-Van-GTi

unless you have a hole in an oil pipe or something plumbed wrong then id say yes, You may have a cracked block as well but often very hard to detect. Id start with whipping off the sump, fill the coolant up and watch below for any coolant seeping through, then head gasket.

huzzer

cheers for the reply. What oil pipe has a water jacket around it? Good thinking about looking up from the sump. Do you think it would still leak without the engine running as there is no pressure?

Jer309GTi
What oil pipe has a water jacket around it?

The coolant-oil oil cooler has. This could also cause the symptoms you describe. (Ignore if you have an air-oil cooler).

huzzer

cheers, will check that tomorrow.

ALEX

Could be condensation.

Happens most in winter.

huzzer

Started stripping down the engine to investigate the coolant loss. When i removed the inlet manifold I noticed there are two coolant outlets on the head (obviously for cooling a different model of inlet manifold), which are blanked off by the mating surface of the manifold.

The inlet gasket was darker around these places than anywhere else so I have assumed this to be a possible cause of water being sucked into the engine.

I will hopefully know tomorrow if this was the cause or if it still is the head gasket.

Has anybody come accross this before? Can the coolant ways be welded shut or can this warp the head? :)

ALEX
Started stripping down the engine to investigate the coolant loss. When i removed the inlet manifold I noticed there are two coolant outlets on the head (obviously for cooling a different model of inlet manifold), which are blanked off by the mating surface of the manifold.

Thats supposed to be like that.

Just replace the gasket with a new one.

I've never seen cooland been drawn in through there and I wouldn't have thought it to be likely either.

huzzer

The gasket is only about 800 miles old so is pretty much new. I put everything back together and ran the engine up, then took of the inlet manifold again. Definately sucking up water from these outlets! Im guessing the mating surface is warped enough to let water through so Ive doubled up the gasket with a spare and used some gasket sealant. I'll find out tomorrow if its been succesful! :)

Sign in to follow this