• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maturin23

Mi16 Downpipe And Exhaust Issues

maturin23

Ever since I dropped the ally mi16 engine into my 1.9 I was never happy with the fit of the (standard) downpipe and exhaust.

The engine was fitted without a tilt, with the Baker lower mount and standard uppers. I fitted a reangled exhaust manifold from someone off this board (can;t remember who).

I was never able to get a proper seal at the manifold/dp joint, the downpipe would make contact with the cross member, the back box rattled against the rear subframe - basically spoilt the car for me with the assorted rattles, vibration and exhaust gas. I tried to shorten the system to get it to fit by cutting a length of the middle pipe, that improved things slightly but not massively.

Well - 12 months later I finally got round to replacing the system - was blowing in a few places and the dp split was completely bent and burnt out of shape.

I bought an Arvin downpipe for £40-odd, the Group N (one silencer) exhaust from Autofive. I was anticipating having the same problems - thought I would have ot get the downpipe cut and welded to fit.

At the weekend I did what I thought would be a trial fit - it all went together snug as anything and fitted absolutely perfectly! The downpipe is less bulky and slightly better angled, and the rest fits perfectly. Great seal at the manifold, nice zing from the middle pipe and a nice woofle from the back box.

It's transformed the car - just kicking myself for not doing it sooner!

Just thought I'd share this - exhaust systems are NOT all the same :D

Baz

What so the angle of the Arvin Dp is pretty good for a reangled Mi mani? Would presume depends on the angle of the mani aswel, but sounds good!! :D

Edited by BazGTMi

Baz

Oops!! Double post!!

Edited by BazGTMi

Ryan

It's probably luck of the draw when it comes to downpipes. I had to cut ~35mm out of my Arvin to get it to fit.

S33GAV

Can you take a pic of the downpipe to centre pipe please? I've just bought a grp n bb and centre pipe and it's about 8" too short - I think the downpipe must have been cut and welded to fit the previous exhaust.

A pic would be great if you can - I think I might need a new dp myself!!

maturin23

Of course I'll take some pics matey - I need to bleed the brakes and fit a new handbrake cable over the weekend so she'll be up on stands.

I'll post something on this thread by Tuesday at the latest.

cheers

Ian

S33GAV

Nice one cheers :(

Sign in to follow this