• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BuD

Gti6 Conversion Begins

BuD

Hi all,

I have wanted a 205 gti6 for ages - I finally got to start the project a few weeks ago when I bought the donor car. Its a red p1 with 100k, it drove and sounded fine and I am happy to get it rebuilt if it blows up.

pp_306_1s.jpg

I have stripped most of it now, interior, ecu and engine, loom exhaust cooling system etc.

pp_306_5s.jpg

Once I have got the remaining stuff off the shell it will be scrapped.

pp_306_10s.jpg

The car had no Aircon and had a keypad immobiliser which I hope will simplify the conversion. I plan on using the 306 pas pump and aux belt setup as well as the original ecu. I have found the 2 multiplugs which need to be spliced into the 205 loom, I will remove all the wiring from the 306 so that I can make a neat solution.

Any comments or tips welcome.

I will post my progress and do a web page as the conversion progresses, I hope to have the 205 this side of Xmas!

Jonmurgie

Why have you pulled apart a perfectly good GTi6?!

maxi

Because they are better in a 205!!! These phase 1 306's do suffer really badly with rot around the sunroof, did this one have the cancer too???

Did you unlock your ecu befre you stripped it out of the car to save all that keypad horse shi t?

Maxi

welshpug

but the phase 1 gti6 is waaay better than a 205, so much more stable and safer.

if it was a write off i'd understand, otherwise :)

jonnie205

Yes i realy hope you unlocked the ecu before you lifted engine. No need for any of that keypad or immobilser toss or any wiring the car side of the 2 multiplugs.

cybernck

my thoughts exactly! :)

i feel for it as much as i do for perfectly good 405's.

but i'm sure there was a good reason (other than it's engine ;)).

mbayley77

I was going to pull a 306 apart for my donoe too before i found my engine. I reckon i could have pulled the car apart and sold everything i didnt want and made almost as much money back as a cheap car.

jackherer

at 100k miles its going to need constant work to keep it tight and good even if there is nothing specifically 'wrong' with it and I would much rather spend money keeping a 205 going than a 306, its a pretty ordinary car IMO. I've seen a 306 get scrapped simply because it needed a new heater matrix, appparently its a 12 hour job!

BuD

I would have thought you would understand the concept of a donor car Jon :)

I wanted a complete car because there was no way I was going to buy an engine sat on a pallet, apart from worries about condition this way I know I have all the parts I will need. This car is badly scratched down the side and one of the side skirts is totally smashed. Windscreen would be a MOT failure, 1 headlight is broken and a hundred other little things. If I had bought a car I couldnt drive (right off\MOT failure) I would not be able to test it as well and would have had to paid to have it transported home.

I dont feel bad as I have kept plenty of peugeots on the road that would be off to the scrap yard, and the 205 I get will probably be another example.

I didnt expect to get a slating for taking a 306 engine on a 205 forum ;)

No Maxi I didnt do the thing with the keypad because I thought I would wire it in to start with and see how I go, I will probably regret that when I cant get the engine started.........

EDIT: It would take 1 day to do the heater hatrix the first time you tried if you had worked on cars before, 6 hours easily if you have done a few.

Edited by BuD

welshpug

which is actually doable in 3 :)

cybernck

ah ok so it wasn't a perfectly good 306 then :).

Alastairh

Looking good.

Fancy giving a gti6 a go in the spring on my 205.

Good luck with the wiring :)

Alastair

BuD

Yes the car had quite a lot to do to make it a good one again!!

I have more or less been in my comfort zone stripping the 306 but I think from now on I am going to find the project a much bigger challenge. I have never put an engine in or done conversion wiring before. Expect lots of questions (following thourough searches of course).

One thing I cant decide upon is wether to use a 1.6 gti box or the 6 speed unit.

Cheers

Chris

pugpete1108
Yes the car had quite a lot to do to make it a good one again!!

I have more or less been in my comfort zone stripping the 306 but I think from now on I am going to find the project a much bigger challenge. I have never put an engine in or done conversion wiring before. Expect lots of questions (following thourough searches of course).

One thing I cant decide upon is wether to use a 1.6 gti box or the 6 speed unit.

Cheers

Chris

i am going to be trying a 1.6 gti box om my gti6 conversion , good for tracks but not so good for motorways ,it really depends on the application it being used for.

bearing in mind the full lock problems of fitting a 6 speed box on a 205 aswell

welshpug

one thing to checkout if you're considering the 6 box is how much extra space 309 bottom arms give you.

and also how often do you do 3 point turns?

mbayley77

especially when i decent handbrake makes it a 1 point turn :D

ada205
one thing to checkout if you're considering the 6 box is how much extra space 309 bottom arms give you.

and also how often do you do 3 point turns?

Lol..3 point turns just turn into 5 point turns with a 6 speed!

I find that 1st trough to 5th seem to give very similar speeds at any given revs as a 1.6 box anyway, and leaves 6th for that bit of refined motorway driving us old bastards need, and also not forgetting the rather nice ability to take the speedo of the clock :D

I find lack of lock not a problem, though to be fair i dont really do the shopping in this car. I have to say though, the lack of lock has made me look a complete prat on a few occasions, best one being in the middle of a major long que of traffic due to an accident. The police were turning the traffic around at the front of the que, and when my turn came i could'nt make it in one like everyone else, and unfortunately the car behind me, and the car behind him and so on all followed me bumper to bumper, so i had no room what so ever to reverse when i failed to make the turn...result...total grid lock due to my gearbox!!!! :D:):(

Alastairh

Out of the choice of the gti6 box and the 1.6 box. Deffinatly a 1.6 box. the gti6 box is a joke once i had seen one in action.

Alastair

Dixon

Personally I'd say neither!

I'm sure you'd get annoyed with the lock of the 6 speed and its only a novelty tbh.

And the 1.6 gear's are too short, its hard enough getting traction with a 1.9 'box!

BuD

Some good info there.

I would definitly use the 6 speed box if it were not for the lack of steering lock, the ratios are perfect for the engine in standard tune - at least they are in a 306 for fast road driving. The car is also planned for track use.

I have to balance the superior ratios and higher top speed against the lack of lock. I think I am going to have to try and have a ride in a 205 with a 6 speed box to help me decide. The lock on a 306 is pretty bad but easy enough to live with.

One very important question - Could the amount of lock on a 205 with a six speed box ever compromise the car on track??

Edited by BuD

Dixon
Some good info there.

I would definitly use the 6 speed box if it were not for the lack of steering lock, the ratios are perfect for the engine in standard tune - at least they are in a 306 for fast road driving. The car is also planned for track use.

I have to balance the superior ratios and higher top speed against the lack of lock. I think I am going to have to try and have a ride in a 205 with a 6 speed box to help me decide. The lock on a 306 is pretty bad but easy enough to live with.

One very important question - Could the amount of lock on a 205 with a six speed box ever compromise the car on track??

Wouldn't have thought the lack of lock would be a problem on most circuits. Unless you plan on hill climbing or twisty sprints maybe?

Also I wouldn't have thought you'd need a very high top end for the track as most you wouldn't even reach 130mph.

Unless you're going to use it on the road aswell, then a tall last gear may be usefull for cruising speeds.

As before I would still recommend a 205 'box as you won't have to mess around with the clutch arm or gears and the ratio's are fine for the engine.

Edited by Dixon

BuD

I think you are probably right a 5 speed box may be the best balance.

jonnie205

I would run an mi16 box

BuD

If I did this (mi16 box) am I correct in thinking I could use the gti6 flywheel and an mi16 clutch, and a mi16 box is a be3 so that means I need a be3 gearstick and linkages?

im with jonnie, mi16 box all the way for that conversion

deffo get some 309 arms, and while your at it put it in a 309 plenty of room in one of those for a 6 engine and box

!

Sign in to follow this