• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PUGugly

Ignition System For Use With Bike Carbs

PUGugly

Am putting together a bike carbed 205 engine at the moment and am a bit stuck as to wot to do regarding the igniton. Before the coil pack was mounted on the inlet manifold, i could just relocate it but is this not the later type controlled by the ecu. As i was junking the injection system I was going to get rid of the ecu and all the assosiated wiring to keep weight down. Help Pls!!!

jonand
Am putting together a bike carbed 205 engine at the moment and am a bit stuck as to wot to do regarding the igniton. Before the coil pack was mounted on the inlet manifold, i could just relocate it but is this not the later type controlled by the ecu. As i was junking the injection system I was going to get rid of the ecu and all the assosiated wiring to keep weight down. Help Pls!!!

By far the best solution seems to be a separate ignition only aftermarket ecu - I believe Mattsav has some useful maps for his kms ecus.

Good Luck

Jon

PUGugly
By far the best solution seems to be a separate ignition only aftermarket ecu - I believe Mattsav has some useful maps for his kms ecus.

Good Luck

Jon

Cheers Jon!

Wots the KMS unit? Not heard of that one. Would like to know more. Got wires everywhere and running out of ideas!! Am looking into other options but they seem expensive.

M@tt

have a look at megasquirt its a diy open source project, i believe a few people on here are running it (infact there was a group buy a while ago) and is the cheapest out there as its build it yourself and the software is free(can be had for less that £200 all built up)

www.megasquirt.info

stu_woac

he only wants spark I believe so your want megajolt not megasquirt

jonand
Cheers Jon!

Wots the KMS unit? Not heard of that one. Would like to know more. Got wires everywhere and running out of ideas!! Am looking into other options but they seem expensive.

You would do well to find out about the kms systems from the forum sponsor, http://www.q-e-p.co.uk/ if you speak to Matt I'm sure you will find out all you need to know.

Cheers

Jon

MartinM

A Megajolt would be the most cost effective - PM me for details

PUGugly

Cheers Lads

Been looking at the websites and reading/asking/bothering any one or thing that knows about engine management and I'm still not deceided! Megajolts looking like the one but not a 100% yet. KMS looks great but it does cost more. If a group buy could be set up would anyone be interested, also looking to be in a group buy for a LSD prob a gripper one, anyone else??

PUGugly

Deceided to go the MegaJolt path. Looks really good system now I've read up a bit (thanks Martin!!).

On paper you can build the system for about £165 so probably end up 200 quid all in!!

Shortage of main parts means that I should get started next month and hopefully finished before Xmas!! Will let you know how I get on.

jonand
Deceided to go the MegaJolt path. Looks really good system now I've read up a bit (thanks Martin!!).

On paper you can build the system for about £165 so probably end up 200 quid all in!!

Shortage of main parts means that I should get started next month and hopefully finished before Xmas!! Will let you know how I get on.

Good luck, and keep us informed. Will you be having it mapped on a RR, or have you been able to find sufficient base maps for your application ?

Regards

Jon

bren_1.3

ahhh i see the high priest of megajolt, MartinM has converted another........enjoy...........

Rippthrough

Looking at a Megajolt for Edd's VW, know of any UK suppliers from the components?

Looks like I'll have to import the V3 board and chip though.

-Phillip

PUGugly
Looking at a Megajolt for Edd's VW, know of any UK suppliers from the components?

Looks like I'll have to import the V3 board and chip though.

-Phillip

Speak to Martin, he really knows his stuff. Last time i spoke to him there was a worldwide shortage of the main boards but it was supposed to be sorted over the next two or three weeks. Getting Martin to assemble my kit for me, reasonble price (especially compared to other systems) and at least I know it'll work!!

Maps? Hoping to get a good base map to get me up and running, if any one gots any??!! Running a 1.9 on quad 40's (bike carbs), lightened flywheel and 4 branch exhaust. Otherwise pretty standard. Will be RR'ing as soon as we get the car up and running to get it sorted properly. Anyone got any suggestions of where to go local to me?

Rippthrough
Speak to Martin, he really knows his stuff. Last time i spoke to him there was a worldwide shortage of the main boards but it was supposed to be sorted over the next two or three weeks. Getting Martin to assemble my kit for me, reasonble price (especially compared to other systems) and at least I know it'll work!!

Maps? Hoping to get a good base map to get me up and running, if any one gots any??!! Running a 1.9 on quad 40's (bike carbs), lightened flywheel and 4 branch exhaust. Otherwise pretty standard. Will be RR'ing as soon as we get the car up and running to get it sorted properly. Anyone got any suggestions of where to go local to me?

It's Ok, I'm going for a v2 board from Bill Shurvinton now, with some modification for the TPS rather than MAP sensor.

MartinM

It's OK - I know Bill Shurvinton well and don't mind!

...but, unfortunately, that's the state of play with the PCBs at the moment - Bill has a few V2's recovered from his loft and I have none at all :-(

Normal service should be resumed in 7-10 days....

Rippthrough
It's OK - I know Bill Shurvinton well and don't mind!

...but, unfortunately, that's the state of play with the PCBs at the moment - Bill has a few V2's recovered from his loft and I have none at all :-(

Normal service should be resumed in 7-10 days....

Well, if you can provide me with a price for all the V3 stuff, depends how quickly Edd decides he want's it.

V2 from bill is only 60quid delivered, dicount for buying other stuff off him before :blush:

-Phillip

MartinM

Phillip - send me a PM.... I have news on parts tonight

Edited by MartinM

jonand

How're you getting on ?

Rippthrough
How're you getting on ?

Don't know how he's getting on but it's working fine on the VW.

jonand
Don't know how he's getting on but it's working fine on the VW.

Thanks for that, just remind me - are you running carbs ? and what components are you using to provide the sparks ?

I have a megasquirt 1 v3 system - but at this stage will be using bike carbs, therefore only using the ign part of the MS - which I guess is akin with tthe megajolt.

Still reading up (when time permits) - and have to confess to being slightly confused by ignition component requirements. My engine is S16 with individual coils ATM - but I think I need a wasted spark coil pack with conventional plug leads - I also think these can be obtained from either Ford EDIS or pug - still unsure if this is all. I have MAP sensor (built in) and TPS sensor available with the carbs.

Regards

Jon

Rippthrough

We are using twin 40's, the megajolt system simply plugs into the ford EDIS module and coil pack, which makes setting up a thousand times easier - plug it in, set up a map and off you go, the EDIS controls the charge times etc.

Gone with TPS sensor setup, which although it's harder to map, is a lot easier to run for us as we just stuck a throttle pot on the end of the throttle linkage, rather than drilling and tapping all 4 manifold runners, and then trying to damp the signal from lumpy carbs.

Guest harry snotter

hi, i was thinking of running bike carbs useing megajolt, on my zx16v powered 205, anyone done this before, what sort of power increase would you expect and is it possible to graft the carbs on by cutting down the original manifold, and some rubber tubing , oh and anybody got any maps for this?

Matt Holley

I am looking into getting a mega jolt system to run with carbs soon, what bits do I need from the EDIS system and what cars do they come in? my bro has an old H reg fiesta that he said ran a coil pack but Ive not been able to have a look yet.

Are there alot of component to this system? if anyone has a pick of the main components that would be great.

Thanks

Rippthrough

Most modern fords use the EDIS unit.

There's a coilpack, the EDIS module and the crank sensor - then you need the actual megajolt board and a 36-1 tooth trigger wheel (trigger-wheels.com will sell you the wheel and the EDIS components, and I have a board for sale)

Then you need a throttle position sensor mounted on the carbs.

edit:- ediskit-thumb.jpg

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this