• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ajones12

Cooling Fans

ajones12

Just finishing off getting my 91 H plate 1.9 on the road after a couple of years of it standing around. Ran the car up to check that the cooling fans kicked in and yep they did. Second time of trying nothing happened (other than the car getting v hot!!).

Any thoughts what the problem could be?? Someone at work mentioned the rad switch can be problematic.

maturin23

The switches are problematic, as can be the wiring (connectors and earthing points can corrode etc)

Nice thing is that the wiring loom for the rad fan is seperate from the rest of the car's wiring, so it's quite easy to understand and troubleshoot and/or replace entirely.

Do a search on the subject - it's been covered MANY times before - first off you'll find out how to short some pins on the plug to test the fan circuit and bypass the temp switch.

ajones12

One thought we did have was to somehow by-pass the control and get the fans to run just to check they worked.

I'll do a search. Thanks.

Rob_the_Sparky

Checking the fans is really simple, take the switch connector off an short 2 pins together at a time (there are 3 pins). One combination will do nougt, one should run fan slowly and one run teh fan fast.

If slow not working then you almost certainly need to replace the radiator fan resistor, if they work then replace the switch.

Rob

P.S. Out of 4 cars I've had to replace the switch on 3...

ajones12
Checking the fans is really simple, take the switch connector off an short 2 pins together at a time (there are 3 pins). One combination will do nougt, one should run fan slowly and one run teh fan fast.

If slow not working then you almost certainly need to replace the radiator fan resistor, if they work then replace the switch.

Rob

P.S. Out of 4 cars I've had to replace the switch on 3...

thanks for the info Rob. Forgive the basic question, but, how do you short the 2 pins together?

Rob_the_Sparky

I usually just get a fairly thick bit of wire, strip each end and push each end into into the connector. You will get the odd spark as you do it but nothing that will cause any damage as long as you only short out from one pin to the next on the switch connector.

Rob

P.S. On my 4 cars (so far) I've never had a duff fan, I've had one dead slow speed fan resistor and one dodgy connector in addition to the 3 duff switches.

ajones12
I usually just get a fairly thick bit of wire, strip each end and push each end into into the connector. You will get the odd spark as you do it but nothing that will cause any damage as long as you only short out from one pin to the next on the switch connector.

Rob

P.S. On my 4 cars (so far) I've never had a duff fan, I've had one dead slow speed fan resistor and one dodgy connector in addition to the 3 duff switches.

Thanks Rob - I'll give it a try!

Edp

I've cut the pesky resistor wiring out when I put two fans in as it was pissing me off so much. One minute the slow fan would work then it wouldn't then the fast fan would cut in and out. I did away with it all so now the fan comes on when the engine reaches about 92 degrees and the radiator switch operates. I tried several different resistors too from low mileage cars in the scrapyard.

I also have it on a switch inside but I hardly need to use this now.

Sign in to follow this