• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Loud Repatative Clunking When Reversing

wildejon

First day with my car back on the road (after 2.5 weeks) and I've just been for a spin and now I'm hearing some very troubling noises... Only happens in reverse, sounds like metal hitting metal repetatively after a loud clunk. Almost like something is jamming/not engaging properly. I'm thinking that my gearbox might be on its way out, I'm not sure it feels like it is going into reverse properly.

Also, although I am yet to validate this, it might happen when I lift off the accelerator and brake (still reversing) not sure exactly when and whether or not I can rule out whether it is the brakes. I did get quite a bit of vibration under light braking from high speed earlier this morning.

Does anyone have any thoughts? The noise sounds pretty serious, not heard anything like it before. I've heard a worn CV joint in reverse and brake knocking when touching the brake pedal in reverse but nothing like this before.

Please help if you can, I'm at the end of my tether with this car!!!

hengti

it's possibly the brakes

the caliper sliders wear and can cause a clonk as you start reversing. it's not dangerous - only annoying.

wildejon

Thanks for the reply :)

The initial clonk sounds like it could be that, but then there is a repetative knocking/grinding (like gears grinding almost!) also... I had someone else in the car with me too and he reminded me that it sounds like its coming from the centre of the engine bay, mind you, even when my brakes do clonk I couldn't pin point where it was coming from if I didn't know what it was.

I'll get the wheels off and have a look though, I hope it isn't anything dangerous!

huxley309

try tightening the subframe bolts, these being lose will have a similar effect

wildejon

I'll give it a go, weirdly is hasn't done it since... It was an extremely loud noise so I'm surprised to say the least! Weird eh?!

Thanks!

Sign in to follow this