• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

Poly Bushes

Dan Ingram

My poly bushes have arrived but there are only 2 in the pack. There for the lower arms. Am I supposed to have one pack per side or do I just change one bush on each arm??? If it is just one bush on each arm do I change the front one or the back one???

Thanks in advance

Dan

hengti

you'll need 8 (!) bushes in total - each one comes in two halves that you push in from either end of the arms' bush sleeve

the back ones are bigger than the front ones

if you've got the powerflex (purple) ones, they sell them in front/rear pairs - so you'd need one pack of the bigger rears and one pack of the smaller fronts to do the whole car. they don't provide them in 'sided' pairs of f/r bushes

personally, i'd wait until i had all of the bushes for both sides of the car before doing the job

Dan Ingram

Iv already started now as im doing the lower strut brace at the same time. Its the purple powerflex ones that i've got. How do you know if there front or rear ones as they look a very similar size

hengti

the rears are noticeably bigger - once you've got an arm off, it should be fairly obvious after inspection :)

Dan Ingram

Thanks for that. Its the rear ones that i've got, looks like im going to have to order another set :)

Any fantastic suggestions on how to get the old ones out??? I think heating them up seems to be the best idea so far.

hengti

i think there's probably a fair amount on search about that one - seems a popular pass time!

i just took mine round to a local garage to have them pressed out

i'd have thought pressing them out in a vice, using suitable drifts is probably the best way. heat'll help too.

nick

Get a drill with a 5/6mm drill bit and drill loads of holes through the rubber part of the bush, then get a stanley knife and chop the rest of the rubber out. The middle of the bush should now just push out (I used a 10/11mm socket on an extension to whack the middle out).

Now get a small chisel/screwdriver on the outer metal ring and give it a few whacks towards the middle of the bush, this should just fold in on itself and just drop out.

Nick

tom_m

sod that thats far too much work! get a blow torch on them and burn the f*ckers! the middle metal sleeves will drop (or pop!) out of their own accord, then hacksaw the outer ones and you can drift them out easy!

none of my loacl garages had the right kind of press to get the old bushes out!

Dan Ingram

I blow torched them out, most of the rubber just fell out and The rest took me about 2 minutes to clean out.

Must say im not really very impressed with the bushes though, they seem less solid than the originals :)

hengti

they should be ok once they're clamped

make sure you use the assembly grease provided though

tom_m
they should be ok once they're clamped

make sure you use the assembly grease provided though

and they take a little persuasion :) to get into the subframe in the first place!

Guest sgratton

I will second that, definitely use plenty of copper grease and only tighten the bolts up with the suspension loaded up, not at full droop. When I fitted the purple bushes one split on the maiden run, I switched back to solid poly bushes (yellow ones).

Dan Ingram

I've fitted some original peugeot ones now and there loads better.

hengti

lol

i wasn't going to say anything, but that's a sensible result! :)

Dan Ingram

Well they seem much better quality. The powerflex ones are alot softer than I was expecting, whereas the peugeot ones have 3 layers of metal and 2 layers of rubber and they seem to be about 4 times stiffer. Also there a much better fit.

Definately the ones to go for :)

madspikes

I fitted the polly bushes a while ago, it turned out to be a right nightmare.

Getting the old bushes out wasnt too bad, drilled lots of little holes in the bush and then used a threaded bar and various nuts and washes to push the old bushes out. Worked really well.

However fitting the arm to the car was another matter. It turns out that the c**py aftermarket lower arms had a different spacing between the two pivots than the pug oem ones, so much so that the arms wouldnt fit. The only way to make them fit was to move one of the bushes so that the fat side (the end that sticks out) was facing the same way as the other, which isnt how it should be. This worked ok ish, bar the arm rubbing on the sub frame under braking.

(Sub frame - Bush - Arm - Sub frame) gap (Sub frame - Bush - Arm - Sub frame)

instead of

(Sub frame - Bush - Arm - Sub frame) gap (Sub frame - Arm - Bush - Sub frame)

I have some pics some where, but the difference was about 6mm between oem and these aftermarket arms, so just be warned.

Mad.

Sign in to follow this