• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hengti

Compression Test

hengti

Hello

Well, I think my long suffering engine may finally have had it :)

I had the HG done at vast expense at about this kind of time last year and have noticed recently that it has been losing water.

Yesterday, it started misfiring ever so slightly and developed into a serious lack of go - as if it were a cylinder down. I haven't had a look at it yet, but suspect the HG again (likely the end for the car if it is ...)

Question is about compression testing. I've just changed the oil and want to try and avoid contaminating it with fuel if at all possible (still hoping it's something simple!). Is there a fuel pump relay or something that i can remove that'll prevent overfuelling as i crank the engine? if so, where is it? it's a phase 2 1.9.

thanks

Henry

Guest rick03054

Take out the far right fuse from the fuse box.

sonofsam

It may be fused in two places on the fuseboard, mine was.

hengti

hmm - thanks

i think i'll just take them all out in that case. the starter won't be fused - presume this won't cause any other problems - ?!

jackherer

the only problem I can see with taking all the fuses out is remembering which ones go where when you put them back :)

All 205s I've worked on have just one fuse for the fuel pump, the far right one. Take it out with the engine running and it will falter then cut out, leaving you sure you've got the right fuse....

sonofsam

If it is fused twice you should have a connector like below.Yellow wire 76a i beleive.

post-6977-1160918275_thumb.jpg

brianthemagical

would removing the tachy relay have the same effect?

hengti

cheers guys

now can't get either of my two compression testers to work ... one's got a split rubber seal and t'other is one of these threaded ones which (obviously!! :) ) has the wrong thread size

a trip to whoever's left open is in order

fingers crossed!

also picking up a copy of Autotrader ... lol

hengti

i should be too embarassed to admit to the following ...

compression tested at 175-170-170-180. that'll do for a 207k engine.

then decided to fit a spare set of leads; ripped them all out and got to the dizzy cap ... where i spotted that one of the leads was already off...

what. a. d*ck :)

even after i'd thought it felt like it was running on three cylinders, i automatically assumed the worst (what with the HG thing and coolant loss) and went out and bought a copy of Autotrader ...

damn this car! it refuses to die!!

i'm putting all of this high melodrama down to the fact that i am in serious need of a holiday ...

i'll probably have to be changing the oil and filter anyway, as i did about 20 miles in it yesterday on three cylinders ...

feel free to laugh at me :)

Grim.Badger
Question is about compression testing. I've just changed the oil and want to try and avoid contaminating it with fuel if at all possible (still hoping it's something simple!). Is there a fuel pump relay or something that i can remove that'll prevent overfuelling as i crank the engine? if so, where is it? it's a phase 2 1.9.

I just disconnected the electricity supply on the pump :D

Rob_the_Sparky

Or take the connectors of the injectors

Sign in to follow this