• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Electric Water Pump

smckeown

Continuing the theme on extracting more power, has any of the track/race folk replaced the OE water pump in favour for an electric version ?

cheers

sean

jonD6B

Not on a 205 but have helped a friend do his on a 200 SX. Can you make your own if you know the flow rate?

cyman

yep, i fitted one to my 205 with the electronic controller, ( craig davis )

works great, no problems so far.

Anthony

Give James-R a shout - he's run them in the past with good results, and is currently sorting out fitting one to his forthcoming GTi-6 lump :)

Miles

I've got one on my shelf for my GTi6 engine when I build it, Was going to use it on my 309 but plans change as always.

I know people have used these with good results and with the added bonus of keeping the pump on when you turn the engine off.

petert

I guess you'd need to remove the pump vanes, or fit a shorter cam belt?

smckeown
I guess you'd need to remove the pump vanes, or fit a shorter cam belt?

Yes that's what i've read, ideally i;d have through you'd want to do both to get the full benefit.

To the people who have or are planning to do this, are you running with the external regulator, or run it on full power always ?

Edited by smckeown

crogthomas

One advantage of an electric water pump is that you can match its use to engine temperature.

Therefore you can restrict the power it consumes (via the alternator) to only what is necessary, meaning more power is available to drive the wheels.

By running the pump on full power you are consumeing the full amount of power all of the time. Pointless.

Running it with the electronic controller is the most sensible way forward. It does cost more though.

Same principal behind running a electric radiator fan versus a crank driven one.

cyman

yep, i'm running mine with the electronic controller.

i think iv'e got a spare one floating around if someone needs one.

also, i did look at bypassing the water pump, but finding a shorter belt at the right spec was a problem.

so i removed the impellers.

i put the thermocouple in the thermo housing.

Guest BrainFluid

Is this not half a dozen of one compared to six of the other?

Wherever your drawing the energy to power the pumping of the water its still going to be comming from the cam belt?

Hmmm, unless that is if your going to switch the alternator off entirely every other lap or so and just run off what juice you have in your battery for sparks and electric water pumping.

If thats the case then it could be bloody handy on the track...

cyman

i'm not sure of the current draw of the pump flat out, but i would think it would be more efficient than the standard setup.

as for the ( battery for the pump ) it's the xtra weight, i know how you track boys hate this.

Sign in to follow this