• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt1900

Hall Sender?

matt1900

Basically i did a head gasket a couple of weeks ago, but fitted a cheap one from car spares and guess what it started leaking oil straight away in the rear corner near the dizzy. i thought sod it - i'll just let it leak for a while till i can be bothered to do the job again.

but i think it's come back to bite me in the arse already, i went to start it and there's no spark, coil and module were not replaced that long ago so are fine, coil has live to it but doesn't seem to be firing so i checked the wire from the hall sender which is connected ok.

i took off the dizzy cap which has some oil in it so think the dizzy oil seal is leaking too (boy did i f%$k that job up)

would that oil leakage be enough to bugger my hall sender/dizzy?

can the hall sender be replaced on it's own or do i have to buy a new dizzy unit?

cheers guys, any advise on this matter much appreciated before i shell out another un-nessesary wodge on my car!

Matt :)

brianthemagical

don't think it would be a knackered dizzy as mine was leaking oil in to the dizzy cap and still worked fine.

kevcomdude

Apparently its a common problem to have a little bit of oil leaking into the dizzy cap. I have replaced nemorous o-rings for the dizzy and it still leaks a little, but also works fine and starts everytime without a problem.

Rob_the_Sparky

No you can't replace the sensors, or not officially anyway. I'm sure you can actually replace them but they are designed for it. However, I suspect your problem will be in the ignition amp or the cable from the dizzy to the amp rather than in the dizzy itself.

Rob

matt1900
No you can't replace the sensors, or not officially anyway. I'm sure you can actually replace them but they are designed for it. However, I suspect your problem will be in the ignition amp or the cable from the dizzy to the amp rather than in the dizzy itself.

Rob

yeah, it definately seems that way, ive tried another dizzy and it's made no difference.

I've checked continuity on that cable from the dizzy end all the way down to the terminals on the amp plug, and it's fine on both pins telling me that cables ok

this now suggesting the amp is at fault, but i tried one and it made no difference (although the one i tried from csf looked a bit suspect coz it had been opened and tampered with before it got to me)

i will try another though just in case.

ive also been testing the wiring to the coil. as you know theres 2 red wires on one side and 2 green/yellow wires on the other terminals.

one of these red wires always carries a 12v feed to the coil with the ignition on, the other seems to be dead at all times, is this one supposed to be a swiching live from the amp??? i checked and there is perfect continuity between this red wire and the amp plug which suggests to me that some thing is supposed to travel up this red wire from the amp, but isn't - also suggesting that the amp is at fault.

now i would also assume that the green/yellow wires are the earth side of the coil, i tried putting a 12v feed down these but found no earth connection at all.

i'm not really sure what my findings are supposed to be in relation to the coil wiring apart from the fixed live with the ignition on, so if any one could clarify and tell me if i'm chatting sh*t or not it would be much apprecited

really scratching my head over this problem now

Matt

Rob_the_Sparky

Pretty certain that the ignition amp switches the earth connection, not the live. (also no point in supplying a switched live if you also supply a permenant live!)

Rob

matt1900
Pretty certain that the ignition amp switches the earth connection, not the live. (also no point in supplying a switched live if you also supply a permenant live!)

Rob

lol - good point mate, will check it out.

matt1900

ok, i checked for the earth at the coil while cranking and the switching earth is definatelly there, so this confirms the cable from dizzy to amp is fine as this cable carries the signal for the amp to switch over.

it would then also seem to suggest the amp is ok as it is sending the earth.

so now things seem to be pointing at the coil to be at fault, only thing is i quickly connected up another coil (without actually bolting it up) and it made no difference

is there something i'm missing here?

Rob_the_Sparky

Could be the more obvious stuff like knackered cap or leads, I'm also just pondering what might have been put back on wrong after the HG change...beginningto struggle now though.

You could check see if you are getting fuel. If not then it is dizzy/amp/coil issue as the ECU gets its input from this area, no input = no fuel + no spark versus just no spark.

Rob

matt1900

sweet - sorted it!

all the fueling was fine, everything up to the coil seemed fine just no ht pulse out of the coil.

i then realised that the coil i tried earlier had the terminals round the opposite way so i'd wired it wrong. :wacko:

so it was just a dodgy coil after all that messing around; i was quite surprised though as that coil can't have been more than a year old.

cheers for the advise people - especially Rob :excl:

Matt :excl:

Sign in to follow this