• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Silicone Sealing Wiring Loom To Fuel Tank

wildejon

As I am car-less and in desperate need of attaching my fuel pump to my wiring loom I thought I would ask, what are your views on just using two spade connectors to connect it all up and then filling the hole with some sort of silicone sealant? That appears to be what was done before. It has a kind of oval recess for the plug and I can't find one anywhere! I've not had a car for 2 weeks so far and this has got to be sorted asap before I have a breakdown!!

Cheers in advance :)

Jon

Sandy

Silicone won't last 2 minutes with petrol sloshing over it, i'd make a grommit out of solid rubber and drill the holes for the wires undersize for a neat fit.

wildejon

Fair point, although I didn't think petrol was meant to get to that bit... Although the one I removed from my old tank came out in pieces and had clearly been attacked by petrol!

Where can I get some rubber that would be a half decent fit do you reckon? I'd really love to get my car running tomorrow or I'll miss my friends wedding :)

Sandy

Cut it out of something like an old rear axle mount or top mount rubber, that kind of thing.

wildejon

How about a rubber cork? I've got loads spare from my winemaking!! Not got any from old mounts though...

Sign in to follow this