• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stutto

Cylinder Liners

stutto

Can they be bought individually, what else needs changing at the same time? Is it really a bad idea to change just one?

I finally got my engine out of the car yesterday but have managed to break the liner of the cylinder that the big end went on. 'New' engine time? I've had a quick look around for short engines but there does not seem to be much at the moment.

jim21070

AFAIK they can be bought individually complete with piston as they are a matched pair. Bit pricey though.

I'd be tempted to get the best liner and piston from an otherwise scrap engine...

Edited by jim21070

Grahamrally

The only real problem with changing one liner and piston to brand new is that the compression on that cylinder is likely to be much higher than the rest if the others are quite high mileage. There's no getting round the fact that you'll end up with differently worn cylinders which-ever route you take, whether you go to a scrappy or buy new. I'd probably find a decent set second hand that aren't worn to buggery!

jerseypug

i have a spare one. if you are interested pm me

24seven

What's wrong with one cylinder being in better shape than the others? I mean what running issues are there?

Sign in to follow this