• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

Paranoid About The Liners

24seven

how can I check whether they're in the right place or not? Are the likely to creep if left without the head on for a long period of time? Also, what kind of ball ache is it to rectify if they have moved?

Henry 1.9GTi

had my head off for bout 2 weeks i think, didnt secure the liner in anyway, although was careful not to nock them when cleaning stuff up. Everything seems fine now so i assume they didnt move :P

24seven

I've had the head off this for about 2 months with very little securing the liners. I may just take them out for the sake of refitting them turned 180* and some new rings while I'm at it. SOOO close to actually driving this thing, and something else pops up!

James_m

I would'nt worry about it. As you will se if you do decide to take them out, they require a fairly big hit just to get them to move after all this time.

Guest rick03054

I worried about this too, haynes makes a point of saying to be carefull of knocking them. This may be the case on a new engine like they get to play with, but after 15 years of sitting in the same place it's bollocks, they're there to stay! Takes a fair knock to move them. I had an engine sitting at the back of my garage for a good few months and they still felt solidly in place.

ALEX

I put new liner seals on a 106 TU (same wet liner design) one seat look coroded so I sanded it somooth.

I put the head back on and filled it with coolant with the sump off to check if it leaked.

It did but it was only a drip per minute. radweld fixed it though.

I wouldnt worry too much about disturbing them. even if you turned the crank and a liner popped up with the head off, chances are the crap between them would settle and seal the liner again.

If it does fail worse that will happen is mayo oil.

That means remove the head and change the seals.

All depends on what type of mechanic you are chance it and see or be safe and replace the seals anyway.

It's an easy job with the head off.

Remove the sump and remove each big end cap at a time pushing the piston and liner up from underneath with a wooden stick (hammer handle).

Seals cost £9 a set afair

24seven

ok thanks for the advice. think I'll chance it this time.

Sign in to follow this