• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smighall

Can't Change Gear When Engine Running

smighall

Hi all,

For a bit of background, i'm nearing the end of my GTI6 conversion for my track car. I'm using a 1.6 BE3 gearbox and a new mi16 clutch. I can change gear fine when the engine is off but when running i can't engage any gear.

I have just changed the clutch cable this morning as i though that may have been the issue, as the black plastic bit hand snapped into pieces. But it still doesn't work. The clutch pedal also feels very light as if it isn't actually acting on anything.

Does anybody have any ideas what i can try to fix this problem?

Cheers

Sean

Normski

The clutch is not fully disengaging when you press the pedal. Try to adjust the cable, so the pedal sits a bit higher.

smighall

The pedal is already a fair bit higher than the brake and accelerator, but will wind it right in and try that.

cyman

as far as the clutch pedal is concerned, you can fabricate a metal stop so that you can have the pedal level with the brake pedal if you wish.

this will put a bit more tension on the cable.

cyman.

smighall

I just wound the cable right up and it still wasn't engaging the clutch.

Ben Allen

I've got this problem on my 1.9 I can engage all gears with the engine off, but if it's running I can crunch it into reverse but it won't go into any of the forward gears :D

maxi

Sounds like the realease bearing is either not in there or its come off the clutch arm/fork. Box off.

Maxi

smighall

Arse, that's what i was hoping to avoid taking the box back off.

Is there nothing else it could be that i could try first? I've heard there is a pin somewhere that could have fallen out, but i'm not sure where to look for that?

welshpug

i guess they mean the pin on the clutch lever mechanism that is fitted to the BE1 box, so you wont have one of these.

Miles

As you;ve said all gears select when the engine's off doesn't look good, So I'm with the release bearing too, You might be able to look inside the bellhousing thru the front inspection hole.

smighall

I've just had a look through the inpection hole, and it looks like the bearing is attached to the fork. I also got somebody to press down on the clutch pedal and i could see the fork and bearing moving.

So now i'm thinking maybe i've got the wrong clutch setup to use with the gti6 engine.

What setup have people got that have done this conversion and are using a 205 box and not the gti6 gearbox?

smighall

I've also just had a look at a spare mi16 clutch that i've got, and think i may have been a dumb ass when i put the box on. The clutch has to go on a particular way, as most of you probably know.

I'm thinking that i've probably got it on the wrong way round, so the flywheel side is the side touching the release bearing.

Can anybody confirm that if the clutch is on the wrong way round then this would cause the problems i'm having?

nick

The "fingers" in the centre of the clutch plate should be pointing out towards the release bearing, not towards the engine.

Nick

Batfink

I take it you did not fit the gti-6 clutch and clutch plate....

pug_ham

It wouldn't sit against the flywheel if you fitted it the wrong way round & imo would be obvious that something was wrong when you tried to fit the cover as it would be about 3/4" away from the flywheel so the bolts would only just reach to pull the cover up, if at all.

Graham.

smighall
It wouldn't sit against the flywheel if you fitted it the wrong way round & imo would be obvious that something was wrong when you tried to fit the cover as it would be about 3/4" away from the flywheel so the bolts would only just reach to pull the cover up, if at all.

Graham.

True, but i'm struggling to think what else it could be??

Looks like i'm taking the box off on Saturday and i'll have a ganders then i guess. Unless anybody else has any inspirational thoughts between now and then.

Cheers

Sean

C_W

I found that you can knock the release bearing off the release arm quite easily when refitting the gearbox if the arm moves too far up the input shaft (I zip-tied mine fully back using a loop hole on top of the gearbox). But I think if this did happen it'd make some nice noises when you pushed the clutch in.

maxi

Right lets wrap this up once and for all as there seems to be confusion over which clutch setup to use when not using a pull style gearbox. You need to run:

STANDARD GTI6 FLYWHEEL

MI16 FRICTION PLATE (the part with the springs on it, the small springs should face towards the gearbox, so the side that sticks out into the box)

MI16 COVER PLATE

MI16 RELEASE BEARING

This is the setup if you are using any BE push style gearbox eg: mi box, 1900 box, 1600 box.

Maxi

jochem

I'd put my money on the friction plate being the wrong way around. I've done that once, seemed fina at first but when i wanted to move the car it wouldnt get into the gears.

I hope you did remember to fit the small pin between the release bearing arm and the clutch cabel fork? (i hope you know what im talking about, not sure what the excat name is)

Maxi, you're fogetting about BE1 1600 boxes as Smighall uses: you need the be1 bearing.

And use the clutch cable thats suited for the box.

C_W

I could never see much difference between 205 (be1) and Mi16 release bearings.

smighall
I'd put my money on the friction plate being the wrong way around. I've done that once, seemed fina at first but when i wanted to move the car it wouldnt get into the gears.

I hope you did remember to fit the small pin between the release bearing arm and the clutch cabel fork? (i hope you know what im talking about, not sure what the excat name is)

Maxi, you're fogetting about BE1 1600 boxes as Smighall uses: you need the be1 bearing.

And use the clutch cable thats suited for the box.

I'm using a BE3 box, not BE1. I'm hoping it is the friction plate the wrong way round, i guess i'll see tomorrow when i take the gearbox off.

Alastairh

Im with Graham, Dought you'd be able to get in on the wrong way round.

jochem
I'm using a BE3 box, not BE1. I'm hoping it is the friction plate the wrong way round, i guess i'll see tomorrow when i take the gearbox off.

My mistake, thought there was a gti6 conversion going on with a be1 box.

If i remember correctly the be1 bearing is bigger, due to the fork size.

smighall

The clutch was in the wrong way round. So i've sorted that, but now the gearbox won't go back on, got the stud up and on that mount, tried to jack the engine up to bring it level and it comes part way and then starts moving the whole car!

Given up for today now, will try again tomorrow. :)

C_W

It must be catching either the inner wing or subframe?

Sign in to follow this