• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tagy

Removing Hub Nut With Hub Off Car

tagy

Anyone know how to remove the front hub nut with the hub off the car and the driveshaft still attached??

pug_life

with great difficulty, try using a vice to lock the driveshaft (a none cylindrical part needed) a vie to hold the hub steady, then you'll need an air wrench to shock the nut loose, its a pain in the ass but it works :(

Guest rick03054

Might be easier to stick a wheel on it and find a way to jam that somehow, maybe even sticking it back on the car temporarily.

Holding a little driveshaft steady while you put that much force on it sounds like a recipie for swearing! :(

sonofsam
Holding a little driveshaft steady while you put that much force on it sounds like a recipie for swearing!

:excl: Your not wrong.Been there, think i may of shed one tiny tear aswell, all in fustration of course :ph34r::P

Top tip for tonight is:-)If using a big vice, make up some lead or alu jaws as not to damage stuff.

Having said that I managed to rip the vice clean off the wooden bench it was bolted to :(:blush:

Edited by sonofsam

jackherer

the haynes manual has a pic of a 'special tool' you can make up to do this, its just two flat bars, one long and one short, bolted together and then bolted to two of the four wheel bolts. Its hard to describe but if you have a haynes manual you'll see what I mean.

sonofsam

Yeah following on from jackherer you can also put two f**ked wheel(because they are only going to get bent) bolts in the hub and use a lever bar between the too.

This method is probally not recommended..Lever flick + shin = ouch !

Edited by sonofsam

pug_ham

Only way I've done this is by taking it to a local garage & using their impact gun.

Worked a treat.:(

Graham.

Dream Weaver

We did it by having a mate standing on the brakes, andme with a massive scaffold pole undoing the nut.

It worked, but it turned one of the discs round on the retaining screws and I had to line it back up again.

Other option is the wheel bolts thing as above - 2 opposed wheelbolts, and a bar in between them which is held on the floor.

M@tt

as graham said

i took mine down the local s*it-fit (Kwik-fit) garage one lunchtime and get them to do it with their impact gun. Make sure you take the right sized socket with you cos they don't tend to have them in that size there as they don't do driveshafts. Took 10 seconds and didn't cost a bean :D

MartinM
It worked, but it turned one of the discs round on the retaining screws and I had to line it back up

Been there as well - a bit of a nightmare TBH...

...the retaining screws get 'sheared' sideways but don't break

- so you cant undo them, cos they won't rotate

- you can't put a EZ-out into them, cos they won't rotate

- you can't drill them out, because the drill has to go in on an angle and goes into the opposite threads on the hub

My advice - don't get into a situation where this happens :D

Bassman

Did mine with a broom handle on the brake pedal and using a breaker bar, came off easily!

MartinM

...then it probably wasn't as tight as it should have been!

smckeown
We did it by having a mate standing on the brakes, andme with a massive scaffold pole undoing the nut.

Did mine with a broom handle on the brake pedal and using a breaker bar, came off easily!

He says the hub is OFF the car :D

niklas

I'm with Graham, an impact gun works nicely!

Guest CB-Dave

I had to do this recently, sat them on the floor - held the hub between my knees and gunned the bolt off with a windy gun, got em off in no time at all

Dream Weaver
He says the hub is OFF the car :)

Doh!! I thought it meant wheel off the hub, not hub off the car.

I'd buy a new hub ;)

taylorspug

Decent impact gun will easily do it as long as someone is there to hold onto?stand on the driveshaft and hub.

Without an impact gun, put 4 wheel bolts in the hub, then either stick it in a vice at an angle (you need a large vice to achieve this!), or trap a breaker bar in the wheel bolts and get someone heavy to stand on it whilst you undo it with appropriate socket and looong bar. Done both of these, worked easily. :)

steve@cornwall

Hub nuts are quite soft metal- a sharp, small cold chisel and a big hammer will eat it's way through the side of the nut quite qickly...

Sign in to follow this