• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
spoonehhh

Oil Leakage And Fan Problems, Advice Needed?

spoonehhh

I got my old 89 1900 back on the road recently and have been using it every day for the last few weeks but since, a few annoying problems have developed and i just thought some people in the know may be able to advise.

First off it's leaking probably 4 or 5 good sized blobs every day or so. Its coming from the front of the bonnet, slightly off left stright under the bottom corner of the radiator. The bottom corner of the radiator looks to have a bit of oil on it too. Is this the oil cooler or possibly just a hose that runs down there carrying oil? I haven't needed to top the oil up yet as its still ok but when i replaced the oil back in summer i can't remember if i used fully synth or semi synth, if i top it up with the other will it matter or should i drain it and replace from empty with a new filter?

Another annoyance is the radiator fan, or lack of it, some previous owners wired a switch in that doesn't seem to work, tried replacing the connectors but still nothing so i plugged it back into the original multiplug and it doesn't kick in at all before i get the stop sign and the red light on the coolant dial. Are these easy to replace as i assume it's the actual fan thats given up the ghost, any ideas on anything else to check?

thanks guys.

smckeown

at this rate your high coolant temps are going to cause you major engine problems, if it hasn't already. Get a multimeter and a haynes manual, and trace the problem. You can wire up the fan to the battery or a known live wire and earth to see if it's the actual fan. Obvious things to check first are fuses and relays

Welcome to 205 ownership, this is fairly normal in the life of a 205, so you need to get handy :(

Edited by smckeown

Butler

I don't why people wire in a switch. Its not a complex system.

Turn the interior fan on hot to help cool the engine, but your asking for head gasket issues if you over heat the car reguarly.

Do you still have the wiring in place for the original system. The fan is controlled from a thermo switch in the top of the rad.

All you need to get the fan working properly is the thermo switch in the rad, the resistor to control the speeds, the fuses, and the battery.

Wire the fan to the battery, via the fuse and the one side of the thermo switch.

The repeat but on the other side, via the resistor for the slow speed.

Use trial and error to fiqure out which side of the thermo switch kicks in first.

On my car the coolant temp sits in the middle. If it moves to the next line the slow speed cuts in. If it moves to the line after that the high speed kicks in.

spoonehhh

The fuses you say? Is there a fuse for the coolant fan? If there is i gather its not on the board in the glovebox?

Phil H

to check the radiator switch, pull the connector off it and jab a piece of wire across two connectors of the three at a time, fan should switch on to fast, or slow, or nothing depending what wires are joined. If it works...replace that sensor in the rad. If nowt, then check fan, fan resistor cannister on top of rad etc.

Sign in to follow this