• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yeti-dj

306 Turbo Diesel Engine Into A 205 Turbo Diesel

yeti-dj

hello, sorry its about a diesel but it is my wee commuting beast and i do have a 205 mi16 as a weekend toy.

i recently cooked the engine in the 205 turbo diesel and now need a new engine, but having some problems finding a good 205 td engine but have seen lots of 306 td engines about the question is does any body know if this will work ok or will it be a bit of a pain? also what age of 306 engine would be the best as they look a little different..any help would be good.

any one in the edinburgh area got either engine please give me a shout as the money i am spending on petrol in the mi16 is killin me.

cheers for the help.....

Guest BrainFluid
hello, sorry its about a diesel but it is my wee commuting beast and i do have a 205 mi16 as a weekend toy.

i recently cooked the engine in the 205 turbo diesel and now need a new engine, but having some problems finding a good 205 td engine but have seen lots of 306 td engines about the question is does any body know if this will work ok or will it be a bit of a pain? also what age of 306 engine would be the best as they look a little different..any help would be good.

any one in the edinburgh area got either engine please give me a shout as the money i am spending on petrol in the mi16 is killin me.

cheers for the help.....

If the 306 engines that your talking about are non computerised before '99 ones...Then you mean the XUD9T engine which is the same as the XUD7T engine that you cooked, just a larger cc thats all and maybe an intercooler ( XUD9Te ).

They only look different at a glace because of the differing air boxes and hosing etc.

Long story short = Yes a <99' XUD9T or XUD9TE out of a 306 will drop straight into a 205 will no loom changes also.

EDIT: Of course any 306 engine will go into a 205. Above is easiest.

Edited by BrainFluid

damien

didnt someone on here have a hdi lump in a 205?

DTORU

Yeah a 306TD motor fit with very little alterations. If it has a Bosch pump it will be easyier to fit the lucas one off you 1.8td as the diesel line are routed didderently for bosch pump and you diesel lines may be shorter. Also youll need to change the thermostat housings from the 19td one to the 18td one as they differ. apart form that they should be the same.

If you go HDI theres loads of electrical thingees and harness chopping to do. you'll get the same power from a 1.9td with a diesel pump and turbo tweak. the hdi's can produce more power but it cost more to achive.

Thanks

DTORU

Edited by DTORU

Grim.Badger

There may be problems with the exhaust hitting the bulkhead and the bonnet not clearing the intercooler; so be prepared for some hammering and finding an auto-bonnet.

DTORU
There may be problems with the exhaust hitting the bulkhead and the bonnet not clearing the intercooler; so be prepared for some hammering and finding an auto-bonnet.

The stock bonnet fixs ok with the intercooler and the exhaust will clear if you remove the heat shield and cut back the 2 M6 studs.

You will have to alter the exhaust down pipe as the angles are slightly out and the pipes rubs on the chassis if not reangled. I used a 1.8 td front to back cut down and a 306 TD front pipe fitted then welded to the 1.8 cut doen one.

batoutofhell

and the exhaust only touches the bulkhead if its the garret turbo. the kkk one goes straight in.

if the fuel pump has two stop solenoids one may be an immobiliser. all you need to do is replace the immobiliser one for a standard one.

yeti-dj

right, so the answer is a yes. but i have noticed that on the 306 engine the fuel filter is now at the front of the engine rather than near the brake servo like on the 205 and on the 306 engines i have looked at they have a couple of electrical connetions around the fuel filter, what are these for and do i need to connect them?

any easy ways to tell which 306 engine will fit with the least problems? have noticed that some of them they seem to have a "damper" on the front of the fuel pump, whats this for?

already got an auto bonnet on the car so that should be no problem and can easy match the 306 down pipe to my stainless exhaust.

sorry for so many questions but this diesel thing is all new to me....

welshpug

the sensors near the thermostat and fuel filter are temp gauge sensors and water in fuel senders.

I'd go for a bosch fuel pum and modify the fuel pipes as its a much simpler pump to tune and more reliable. (plus the boost comes in much earlier with the Bosch pump even though the power is rated the same it will be quicker)

The damper on the accelerator lever is to slow down the lever on lift off.

As mentioned, depending on which turbo you have you will have to modify the downpipe but thats just a case of playing about with an angle grinder and a mig.

Avoid the DHY lumps as they love throwing rods, the earlier DTurbo lumps are the best ones, or a 405 TD engine as they are also identical.

yeti-dj

thought the 405 turbo diesel was the same as the 205 but with an intercooler?

Have looked at the 405 td engines but would like to keep the intercooler but the fuel filer on them is right in the way of one of the hoses from the turbo near the brake servo and dont want to have to mess around with moving the filter. this is why the 306 with the fuel filter at the front looks to be good and its also a 1.9 rather than 1.8 or am i wrong?

how do i tell the dfference between the 2 pumps? or do the say on them?

thanks for the help people....

welshpug

early (up to mid 92) 405 engines were 1.8 turbo intercooled, but later werre 1.9, identical to the 306 engine, as well as the 406, though the 406 utilised an ECU to control cooling and EGR systems these can be ditched and the 205 system used instead.

yeti-dj

sorry for being a bit daft but what is an EGR system?

exhaust gas recirculation

Edited by 205007

yeti-dj

sounds complicated, think i will just stick with trying to find a 306 engine with the bosch fuel pump and try and get my little oil burner on the road to many mpg's again....

thanks..

Sign in to follow this