• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PUGugly

Xu Numbers

PUGugly

Hi there, i have just brought a gti engine and was told it was a 1.9 but now nim trying to fit it i believe it may be a 1.6, can anyone tell me where the xu numbers are stamped so i know which one it is? Thanks

Bonzai

if it has orange injectors its most likely to be a 1.9, the 1.6 has blueish coloured injectors iirc

the stamp is on the back of the block, you'll probably need a mirror to see it

welshpug

or it should have an alloy tag on the belt end of the head by the plug hole

PUGugly
or it should have an alloy tag on the belt end of the head by the plug hole

engines are out of car only stamps on block are dm numbers but we were expected to find a xu number, the engine came with no imjectors so can't tell from that either

Any help?

welshpug

take a note of all the numebrs you can see, the engine number is usually on the head tho!

Sandy

the 1.9 has an alloy spacer between the sump and block, the 1.6 doesn't have it.

welshpug

unless its from a 405 or others where the spacer wasnt fitted to the 1.9 engine...

brianthemagical

why do you think it's the wrong one? only way to be perfectly sure is to measeure the stroke. try cheaking the numbers on ignition/injection parts on click.

Edited by brianthemagical

PUGugly

engine doesn't have spacer although sump appears slightly bigger. no injection system on to tell from that, only makings on block are a dm and on the head a v1 any ideas anybody? Thanks

Bonzai

if its not got a spacer plate then likelyhood is its a 1.6

if youre desperate for a working 1.9 then James R has got one going spare in studham which isnt far from hemel

Guest SteveDav

There is a small plate next to the cam belt cover and the engine mont with a 3 digit engine code on it usually either D6B or D9B there are variations but its the number that defines the 6 = 1.6 and 9 = 1.9

Ryan
There is a small plate next to the cam belt cover and the engine mont with a 3 digit engine code on it usually either D6B or D9B there are variations but its the number that defines the 6 = 1.6 and 9 = 1.9

IIRC the codes are something like D6B or B6D, and the number has nothing to do with the engine size.

The only sure way is probably to measure the stroke length by putting a rod down one of the plug holes and turning the crank pulley. The amount of movement is the stroke length - 73mm = 1.6, 88mm = 1.9

Guest SteveDav
IIRC the codes are something like D6B or B6D, and the number has nothing to do with the engine size.

Sorry bout that mate i was sure those codes related to engine size! What does IIRC stand for by the way??

pug_ham
What does IIRC stand for by the way??

If I Remember Correctly

Graham.

pug_ham

The codes relating to engine size are XU5 (1.6) & XU9 (1.9) but tehy aren't stamped on the engine ID plates anywhere.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this