• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest TonySmiff

Xu10j4 Engine Swap

Guest TonySmiff

The 205 i have brought has a big end/main bearing going on it.

And was just planning to rebuild the standard 1.9 lump but after joining this site and doing some searching and some more searching im thinking about putting a xu10j4 in it instead as not looking for great power just a more refined reliable engine:D

have done alot of searching on this but still a few questions (this has answered alot of them http://www.smallmove.f2s.com/16v205/articles/406.htm )

1. 306 or 406 doner car? seems the 406 top engine mount does need modifing to fit and the 306 doesnt? any other reason to go down the 306 route?

2. Gearboxes, seems the one out the 306/406 will mate up with the mounts and driveshafts ok this correct?

3. Aux belt as most 406/306's had air con can i use the alternator/power steering brackets of the 1.9 engine

4. Wiring loom any info on this would be gratefull :)

5. Unlocking the ecu or wire in the pug immobliser/key pad as well?

6. would i be able to fit the rad out of the doner car or best use the oe item and mod the pipes to suite

Any help would be great

Edited by TonySmiff

Faz85

Hi Tony,

Why not go for an Mi16 conversion? or even just a rebuild of the standard 1.9?

Regards

Faraz

James_m
Hi Tony,

Why not go for an Mi16 conversion? or even just a rebuild of the standard 1.9?

Regards

Faraz

Whats wrong with XU10J4? it is a Mi16!

1. 306 S16, 405 MI16 2.0, Cit ZX volcano16v, and Xantia VSX?(not sure on that one) the engine was in no 406's

2.Correct, though there may be issues with push/pull clutches though im not clued up on that

3.Yep, use 1.9 alternator

4.Not sure

5.Either

6.Use standard 8v cooling system

gti_al

Perhaps tony is talking about the 138hp xu10j4r found in 306/xantia/406 etc?

Guest TonySmiff

Yep meant the xu10j4r (missed the R of )

Thanks for the replys

1. Have found a smashed 306 xsi that im going to borrow the parts off

2. Going to look into useing the 306 clutch cable to get around the push pull problem.

3. use the oe item

4/5. going to get wiring diagrams out today and start sorting the loom splicing out

6. using the standard 8v rad does it require lowering?

Guest TonySmiff

found the engine in the car has only knocked out number 3 big end and crank is in good condition so just going to re-shell the engine and start collecting the parts i need for the swap!

Guest mclearg

Hi Tony, just wondering how you got on with the engine swap. I'm putting a 16V into a 306 cab as the 8V died. How did you get over the immobiliser problem. My cab is phase 1 so had a keypad the engine was 2001 so had a transponder key. I didn't take the 16V engine out so I'm a bit in the dark as to wiring.

I've ordered one of these CD's from eBay regarding wiring diags. but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

G.

Sign in to follow this