• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

200lbs 10 Inch Vs 250lbs 8 Inch

kyepan

Was having ride issues especially over more undulating surfaces using the 8 inch springs. The shock was coilbound some of the time creating dangerous handling when there was a sudden change in camber or angle of the road (like coming off a roundabout or large bumps and yumps) it would go coil bound then boing in the air at right angles to the bump, which tended to be towards the scenery.. then bounce bounce.

Decided to go for a slightly softer longer travel set up, 40 quid from demon tweaks for some falkner (think thats right)springs

Replaced the 8 inch springs over the weekend with some 200lbs 10 inch springs, which also go on without using spring compressors, the change is immediate and very noticable. more initial body roll, but still less than standard, no banging and a much better b road drive.

Understeer seems to have been reduced in certain situations, not given it the lift off oversteer test yet, will report back on that one once i find a better more balanced front rear damping set up.

cheers

Justin.

Rom
Was having ride issues especially over more undulating surfaces using the 8 inch springs. The shock was coilbound some of the time creating dangerous handling when there was a sudden change in camber or angle of the road (like coming off a roundabout or large bumps and yumps) it would go coil bound then boing in the air at right angles to the bump, which tended to be towards the scenery.. then bounce bounce.

Decided to go for a slightly softer longer travel set up, 40 quid from demon tweaks for some falkner (think thats right)springs

Replaced the 8 inch springs over the weekend with some 200lbs 10 inch springs, which also go on without using spring compressors, the change is immediate and very noticable. more initial body roll, but still less than standard, no banging and a much better b road drive.

Understeer seems to have been reduced in certain situations, not given it the lift off oversteer test yet, will report back on that one once i find a better more balanced front rear damping set up.

cheers

Justin.

I just got my Gaz coilovers, and asked for them to be supplied with 200lb 10". So hopefully i made a reasonable choice! Not fitted yet.

Look forward to your results

kyepan
I just got my Gaz coilovers, and asked for them to be supplied with 200lb 10". So hopefully i made a reasonable choice! Not fitted yet.

Look forward to your results

cool, you could pop for 225's if you want, as these are pretty ok.

smckeown

what's coilbound then ? for a road car 250lbs is rather stuff really

kyepan
what's coilbound then ? for a road car 250lbs is rather stuff really

um, you know, when the spring compresses so much that there is no gap and the coils are bound together. ;)

tom_m

you must be hitting things pretty hard to make them go coilbound!

as sean says 250lbs is overkill for a road car; even 200lbs with a standard rear beam is going to be quite stiff and may induce understeer.

kyepan
you must be hitting things pretty hard to make them go coilbound!

as sean says 250lbs is overkill for a road car; even 200lbs with a standard rear beam is going to be quite stiff and may induce understeer.

Not that hard to be honest, were not totally sure it was going coil bound or not, it was either that or running out of travel and clouting the bump stops. we did a rough sum and worked out you had bugger all travel when using the 8 inch springs.

pug_life

i've got 200lb 8" and the springs are too short imo.

need to order some 10" over chrimbo and lower them down abit ;)

skeggyrik

I've been reading all the old gaz coilover posts since i got mine (still in the dining room!) as mine came with 275lb springs which seems the standard issue with these if you don't specify otherwise. I think from what I've read of others experiences that it'll be too much at the front with a standard rear set up. So am pretty much decided that I'll be going 200 or 225 springs at the front before I fit them. i was wondering, with your new 10" springs does this eliminate the need for helper springs? does the spring stay in pan when jacked up?

Also what ride height adjustment is left with 10" springs? "how low can you go" if you get what i mean :D is there much left on shock body to go lower....

Rich

kyepan

Mine is lowered so the wishbones point very slightly downwards (3 fingers between the tyre and arch), and I have slightly less than two inches of adjustment until it's as low as it can go.

It also solves the problems where the spring falls out of the spring seat.

I'll see if i can get a photo up tomorrow.

tom_m
Not that hard to be honest, were not totally sure it was going coil bound or not, it was either that or running out of travel and clouting the bump stops. we did a rough sum and worked out you had bugger all travel when using the 8 inch springs.

but using a longer spring won't give you anymore travel than a shorter one at the same ride height, the longer spring will just be further down the damper body!

tom_m
Mine is lowered so the wishbones point very slightly downwards (3 fingers between the tyre and arch), and I have slightly less than two inches of adjustment until it's as low as it can go.

It also solves the problems where the spring falls out of the spring seat.

I'll see if i can get a photo up tomorrow.

mines lower than that and i get no trouble whatsoever using 8in springs! :D

kyepan
but using a longer spring won't give you anymore travel than a shorter one at the same ride height, the longer spring will just be further down the damper body!

We think the spring was going coil bound, :( the longer spring has more travel before it goes coil bound, it has not happened yet with new spring. :o We just needed more spring travel. :D

mines lower than that and i get no trouble whatsoever using 8in springs!

Do you have GAZ coilovers too? and what height from the tie rod mounting are you using out of interest? I originally had them half way on the screw adjuster, with wishbones pointed up very slightly to the wheels, but was experiencing some really odd banging sounds at this height when on bumpy terrain, scrubbing etc and so raised the ride height to near the top, which gave a lowered 20-30mm look and almost horizontal wisbones with a little downward slope.

Bearing in mind on smooth tarmac the original set up was pretty wicked :) but for road use it was, er.. not so great.

tom_m

mine were originally by avo, but they were revalved by gaz last time i had them rebuilt. both comapnies use all teh same parts, but it think gaz vavle them differently

err the bottom spring pan is about a centimetre away from teh droplink mount i think with 8in 180lb springs, its the white one in this pic

the only scrubbage i get is from the plastic lip on the arch trim, and thats only because i've not got round to trimming it off, tho the tyre is doing a pretty good job of it at the moment :)

IMG_2283.sized.jpg

Rom

Got round to fitting mine today. Mixed results i think. First they were 200lb 8",not 10". Id say mine is sitting roughly like the white one above. But theres not a lot of travel on the shock,i removed a bumpstop to see just how much, and even without, theres minimal travel.

Im wondering if its gonna be enough travel, i mean if it goes that far, my tyres will be rubbing anyway, just worries me only seeing an inch or so of the damper.

Dont know what i can do to change it though ?

kyepan

the only way i found was to fit 10 inch, the bump stop will eventually get pushed up into the strut top so only about an inch protrudes. other than that you can wind them up hard and put them on maximum height.

Edited by kyepan

kyepan
mine were originally by avo, but they were revalved by gaz last time i had them rebuilt. both comapnies use all teh same parts, but it think gaz vavle them differently

err the bottom spring pan is about a centimetre away from teh droplink mount i think with 8in 180lb springs, its the white one in this pic

the only scrubbage i get is from the plastic lip on the arch trim, and thats only because i've not got round to trimming it off, tho the tyre is doing a pretty good job of it at the moment :)

IMG_2283.sized.jpg

wow yours has to be a good 40mm lower than mine i'll get a photo up

tom_m

put it this way, my OMP wishbone brace (aka sump guard :)) hits the deck before i hit the bump stops :)

Banjo

So tom what are the 180lb springs like? My coilovers came with 275 springs its too hard!

Ben

tom_m

smooooth <_< stiffer than standard, but not bone shakingly hard like the avo springs i threw in the bin.

if you've got a little more weight than standard i'd be tempted to try 190lbs, i might even push it to 200lbs when the turbo gubbins goes in, but thats the beauty of coilovers, so much to play with :D

put it this way, it got rid of understeer i didn't know i had when i fitted them :P and they matched the thicker torsion bars perfectly.

Sign in to follow this