• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205_sunderland

Silly Air Bleed Screw On Bx Gti 8v Engine

205_sunderland

Is there any way to sort this stupid thing out, im sick of engaging in battle with type r's only to find my car is reving somewhere near 1100 rpm after at idle,

ive tried filling the recess up with black tack (window bond) but its not helping unless you get it just right. Even so it still moves over time, i wish i could just fit the 19 gti throttle body as it seems to have a much better design

any ideas?

regards michael

Edited by 205_sunderland

PumaRacing
Is there any way to sort this stupid thing out, im sick of engaging in battle with type r's only to find my car is reving somewhere near 1100 rpm after at idle,

ive tried filling the recess up with black tack (window bond) but its not helping unless you get it just right. Even so it still moves over time, i wish i could just fit the 19 gti throttle body as it seems to have a much better design

any ideas?

regards michael

A few methods. Take the screw right out, lay it on its side on a steel plate and tap the threads very lightly with a small hammer a couple of times so you just flatten the edges of them a bit. This will make them a friction fit against the sharp corners of the female threads in the housing. Trial and error here. Go easy at first and tap a bit more until the fit is what you want.

There's actually a specific type of friction screw made on this principle which is triangular. It's made round first of all and then crushed slightly in a 3 jaw press which enlarges its diameter slightly at the tips of the triangle so it's a tight fit in a standard tapped thread.

Another method is a thread filling compound which doesn't actually bond the fitting in place but these are very expensive. A poor man's substitute is wood glue which sets hard but doesn't bond metal to metal very well. Don't blame me if you find the one type of wood glue that bonds metal to metal though.

A third method is take the screw out, brush it off, clean it thoroughly in white spirit or thinners and give it a light spray with a can of spray paint. Don't get any on the tapered calibration end or at least clean it off later. Once that's dry the screw will be a tight fit in what was previously a loose thread.

Method 4. Wrap a turn of plumbers PTFE tape round the screw, pack it into the threads with a toothbrush and put the screw back in. You'll want very little of it on there with such a fine thread seeing as it's designed for large, coarsely made pipe fittings.

205_sunderland

kk i think ill give it ago ,i have got low grade loctite from work :D if ya think that will work, i know it meant for non permenant aplications but where no vibration movement is wanted?

Sign in to follow this