• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gibbo GTI

Knackered Rear Beam?

Gibbo GTI

I recently bought a 1.6 GTI which has had the rear suspension lowered by 2 splines. I notice the other day when replacing the rear shoes that the tyre has been rubbing on the inner arch. There doesn't seem to be any camber in the rear wheels and all seems quiet from the back end. Could this be down to the suspension being too low?? Or will it more likely be the outer bearings on there way out?

Any help appreciated

Edited by Gibbo GTI

boldy205

does it have the correct size wheels tyres on? 185/60/14 i think, but could be wrong? plus are they o/e wheels or have you got after market wheels?

Matt.

Gibbo GTI
does it have the correct size wheels tyres on? 185/60/14 i think, but could be wrong? plus are they o/e wheels or have you got after market wheels?

Matt.

Sorry should have said, its got 1.9 gti wheels on with 195x50x15 tyres, also forgot to say there's about the same amount of rubbing on both sides.

Edited by Gibbo GTI

boldy205

sorry for the late reply! the GTI arches are all the same so will accommadate either gti wheels. i have 195/50/15s on my gti and is lowwered (about 40mm) and does not rub. (has it been rubbing reciently, ie. did the last owner have larger wheels on). It seems to me there no actual will or will not rub with this or that tyre size. i remember having 15" gti wheels on my XS few years back mine would rub with people in the back at std. ride hight, and other people said with an XS and same wheels/ tyres and a say, 30mm drop would not rub!! work that out!! one way to check is check the camber is correct. (haynes may tell u what it should be) a garage may be able to do this or u can buy a camber guage(not sure on costs, check acompany called frost on the internet, v good for home mechanic). sometimes the beams leak rusty coloured water out of the joints(knackard bearings/seals). to put it bluntly (because i do have a habbit of waffaling on!) seams if its not tyre/wheel combo which i would GUESS its not, i wold say beam or its been shunted poss? hope it helps?! im no expert but write back with any other things u find and sure I or someone else will help!

Matt.

Gibbo GTI

Thanks for your reply. I took the car into a garage that has worked on many 205's in Glenrothes. They raised the rear suspension for me so the car sits properly and isn't 5mm off the rear bump stop like it was. They had fun getting the torsion bars out but said that the beam looked ok. I'm going to paint the inner arch and keep an eye on it to see if it rubs again, hopefully not. I don't know if the rubbing was caused by the previous owner having people in the back and the car being way too low. Will keep you informed.

Sign in to follow this