• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest steve09

Amp Wirring

Guest steve09

Going to wire up a small amp to my rear speakers,but just wondering were is the best place to run the battery cable from the battery under the bonnet through the front of the car?

If anyone else has done this could you please help me out!

TEKNOPUG

Were the bonnet release cable goes. There is already a rubber grommet there so you can just push the cable through.

Guest steve09
Were the bonnet release cable goes. There is already a rubber grommet there so you can just push the cable through.

Thanks, i'll give it ago tonite!

richard

Just remember to fuse it as close to the battery as you can!

Wouldnt want a nice burning smell followed by one toasted pug if you dont.

Paintguy

I'll second using the bonnet release cable grommet - that's where mine is.

And I'd also like to stress how important Richards advice on fusing is! A fuse inside the engine bay is an absolute must. It's there to protect the cable, and your car.

There are some pictures of my wiring here, which may help :P

Edited by Paintguy

Guest steve09

This grommet is a T!#T to get out, could anyone run me through how to go through the grommet with the power cable?

aeinstein
This grommet is a T!#T to get out, could anyone run me through how to go through the grommet with the power cable?

never done a 205, but on all other cars where i've gone through a grommet, i've done it with a opened up wire coathanger, then taped the unfused end of the power cable to it, and pull it through from the engine side.

make sure the grommet stays in place though, cos it would be a nightmare if the grommet moved and the wire stripped down to the core on the metal edge.

hth

al

Paintguy

^^ Agreed. Don't try and remove the grommet, but try and get it through the existing hole, or make another one in it.

If you're using something small like 8AWG wire, then you should be able to get it through the hole that's already in it. A little stretching with a screwdriver or something should do it, but be careful not to damage anything else running through there. A bit of washing up liquid or WD40 on the cable should help. Personally I use either a piece of welding wire, or a bit of net curtain wire first, then tape your cable to the end of it, and pull it through.

On my own car, I was running a significantly larger cable (0AWG) so I cut a + shaped hole in the grommet, pushed the wire through, then put a bit of sealer around it.

TEKNOPUG

Yeah, don't remove the grommet. Just open the hole a lit bit more with a screwdriver. It's only thin rubber. Or make another hole next to it.

Sign in to follow this