• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
willxs

Starting Issues

willxs

well.. when i come to the car in the morning, or after leaving it for a few hours, it starts fine, starter turns over, fires up no dodgy noises or anything.

after ive been for a run, and will try start it about half hour upto 2 hours later. she wont start. its like it doesnt like starting when warm. :)

when i turn the key, i dont get much other than an electrically sort of buzz as if the starter motor has gone. but if the starter had gone, she wouldnt start at all.

dont understand whats going on. and its really anoying as i have to jump start the car each time she does this!

help please :)

Cheers

welshpug

check the brown multipug and the starter motor connections.

bitchass 205

i read something intresting in the owners manual, sad i know, i've even read it twice!!, but it says when the engine is warm, or there is warm weather start the car with the accelerator pedel fully depressed. i have done this, and i do it now all the time, and it starts first time and then settles to a nice and healthy 900rpm.

on another note though, when i start my car in the morning it fires first time and stays started. However i get 2 or 3 miles down t road and when i come to a stop it stalls. It'll start first time again and the nwill be fine?

Any solutions???

bitchass 205
check the brown multipug and the starter motor connections.

or the blue thingy behind the inlet mainifold, happened to mine once after we had alot of wet weather. moisture got in and it cause it not to start after it had been run for a while.

willxs

yeah, but when it doesnt start. it doesnt even turn over. i'll have a look at the starter connections. but just find it funny that it wont turn over when its warm

jackherer
yeah, but when it doesnt start. it doesnt even turn over. i'll have a look at the starter connections. but just find it funny that it wont turn over when its warm

these are classic symptoms on a 205, the brown multiplug is the first place to look, as the car warms up the connections expand and the current doesn't make it to the starter.

davemar

Muck and oil can get into the brown multiplug making the connection poor. Another problem can be the wire from the ignition key to the mulitplug, this can often struggle to deliver quite enough current. I had this problem, and I didn't even have a nasty brown multiplug to worry about (I had it bypassed with decent wiring).

The way around this was to fit a relay from the ignition key wire and use it to switch the solenoid with a more direct feed from the battery. The solenoid then gets a decent current via proper wire from the battery, and the ignition key wire only has to handle the small current of a relay coil.

willxs

ah sweet, i'll check it out tonight. does it go across the top of the gearbox area? bout 5 or so wires on it?

luggy

What you describe is possibly the solenoid on the starter not fully engaging, just spinning the motor. Replace the solenoid/ starter.

Luggy

madspikes

I had this problem with my car for ages... Its a right arse when it wont start at the petrol station!

I first tried cleaning the brown multi plug, didnt solve a thing.

I then ran a new wire from the ignition to the solenoid, but kept the old one in place. This worked for about a year before that failed.

I then added a started button, and a relay to the circuit to drive the solenoid. That has worked for over a year now.

If you want more extact details, I'll post them later.

Oh, you cant just add a relay onto the standard solenoid circuit, I tried it, it dont work! The solenoid just never disengages, even with the key out!

Mad. :P

futura

I suddenly had similar starting motor symptoms recently, so I cleaned the starter motor pin and connector with WD40, I did my battery connection clean and tidy and it solved the problems.

I also had warm starting issues and I spent lots of money on buying replacement parts to troubleshoot. So my best advice is to start with the easy and cheap elements, such as cleaning operations.

If it doesn't work, try to bypass the brown multiplug temporarily - if it solves your problem, replace the brown multiplug as described here.

Edited by futura

Sign in to follow this