• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt1900

Vacuum Advance

matt1900

this should be a relatively easy one for all you experts on hear,

i noticed the vacuum pipe from the throttle body to dist was broken and probably had been since i've had the car (1.9 8v)

i've now replaced it but the car runs no differently suggesting that the advance function doesn't work on my dist.

is there a way to confirm whether i need a new one, or is this conclusive enough on it's own? because i've been told this timing advance makes a noticeable difference to performance.

nice one

matt

pug_ham

Take the pipe off the throtlle body end & suck on it, if there is no resistance & you get a mouthful of oily fumes its failed if you get resistance its working. Only suck gently though, it doesn't move far.

In all honesty though simply fixing this won't make a noticable difference in how the car runs.

Graham.

matt1900
Take the pipe off the throtlle body end & suck on it, if there is no resistance & you get a mouthful of oily fumes its failed if you get resistance its working. Only suck gently though, it doesn't move far.

In all honesty though simply fixing this won't make a noticable difference in how the car runs.

Graham.

nice one

ORB

Can someone take a picture highlighting the vac advance pipe on a 205 gti as i am not 100 percent sure what pipe it is ;)

pug_ham
Can someone take a picture highlighting the vac advance pipe on a 205 gti as i am not 100 percent sure what pipe it is :lol:
On the car or off? ;)

A piece of rubber hose that runs from the vacuum capsule on the distributor to the throttle body & fits onto the small brass pipe in this picture between the two water pipe connections.

Graham.

ALEX
Take the pipe off the throtlle body end & suck on it, if there is no resistance & you get a mouthful of oily fumes its failed

:D The only method I know too!

Yeah, fixing the advance on mine didn't make any noticable difference either.

Edited by ALEX

Theo205

Graham.

Well said Graham, but it should cure any pinking , under heavy acceleration on low revs since the V.A. is there to retard the timing in this kind of situation.

No?

Theo

Guest keithsto

Never thought of it like that before?

I thought it advanced the ignition to give a bit more ooomf?

brianthemagical
I thought it advanced the ignition to give a bit more ooomf?

hence vacuum advance. it advances when there is a vacuum, ie at small throttle openings. it then retards it form it's cruising state to its actual advance when the throttle is opened and there is less of a vacuum, under hadr acceleration.

welshpug

aaaah, so if it fails after being set up, it wont affect the drive, but if its set after it fails itll be about 20 degrees out!

Guest keithsto

Got to disconnect vacuum advance when setting the ignition timing.

Sign in to follow this