• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Adi

Koni Fsd Dampers

Adi

Hi,

Don't know whether anyone has heard of these yet.......but Koni have brought a new range of dampers out. They have actually been used on the Lamborghini Gallardo since 2004 but have waited a few years to release them as an aftermarket option. Lamborghini actually ditched the electronic controlled dampers (like Porsche use) in favour of the Koni units and all the motoring press has been very positive about the ride especially on poor uk roads.

They work on a similar principle to the Bilstein Sport/Sprint digressive damping.......but in a less sophisticated way. Here's a link http://www.koni.com/FSD/index.html

They aren't going to be cheap......but again once you understand the benefits......they are well worth the price if you want the benefits of good handling without the compromise of a crashy ride. They are designed to be used with std oe springs (as the Bilstein Sports are) but can be used with slightly shorter springs as well.

James_m

Finally someone looks at making an aftermarket shock that might well retain some ride quality, everything else just seems to be rock hard stuff for track work which isnt really better, just designed to do a different job. Wonder how much they will be though? The fact they are OE on a 120k lamborghini does'nt bode well....

Adi
The fact they are OE on a 120k lamborghini does'nt bode well

The cheapest I found them was at Larkspeed at approx £100 a strut.........but that WASN'T for a 205. Just shows they aren't too badly priced.

James_m
The cheapest I found them was at Larkspeed at approx £100 a strut.........but that WASN'T for a 205. Just shows they aren't too badly priced.

Yeah, a quick google reveals they are £380inc vat for a 307. Not too bad.....

jonah

The application list for Peugeot only lists the 307 at the moment.

Do a lot of modern cars already use this sort of technology as standard? Some of the stuff I've driven recently (e.g. latest Focus and Astra models), I've been really impressed with the ride quality and handling, so I wonder if the big car makers have their own versions of this kind of damping?

Adi

There are a number of manafacturers which are looking at using the Koni dampers......Ford being one of them. But none using them currently. Damping has just improved 10 fold in recent years.

veloce200

Monroe have had this technology for years as well.

Adi
Monroe have had this technology for years as well

Could you point me in the direction as to where that info comes from :) I knew they were gas pressure like the Bilsteins.......but never that they had intracat valving.

Adi

After having a quick scan on Monroe's site.......they do indeed use a similar design with their "acceleration-sensitive damping". I can't imagine they'll be set up for handling in the same way as the Konis. But I suppose until I either test a set or see a test result.......I'll remain open minded :)

cybernck

hello Adi, nice to have you back :D.

slightly O/T, but a KONI supplier has just told me that the range for 205's

(at least the Yellow Sports) have been discontinued :lol: - is that true?

welshpug

I've had this technology on my mountainbike for years...

taylorspug
Monroe have had this technology for years as well.

Was just about to bring this up myself! Ive got a set of these on my 205 (even though they dont list them on their site). The fronts are truly amazing, the ride is nice and supple when im just pootling along, but does indeed stiffen up nicely when pushed hard. The rears are a little too hard in the 'bump' phase though, which tends to make the car buck slightly when it hits bigger bumps (although the rebound damping is spot on and it recovers well). Im personally about to put some standard rear shocks back on, as the combination of hard shocks and 309 beam is not the most effective combination across country...

Also the Monroes have lasted extremely well. Ive had them on various 205s for 4 years now, and when i replaced the top mounts a few months back they still felt like new when off the car. Certainly a very good quality product, just a shame about the stiff rear bump damping. TBH i was thinking about going to coilovers when i did the top mounts, but after trying them out, i decided i much preferred both the feel and ride quality on the Monroes and stuck with them.

Dan. :lol:

Adi

The level of damping on both motorbikes and mountain bikes has been superior for quite some time. Its a pitty it takes so long for to appear on the 4 wheeled variety.

Adi

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp

The link shows a test on a BMW and compares the BM dampers with the Koni Sports and the FSD.

I wasn't aware of the Monroe dampers having a similar set up.......I do now :lol: From looking at the few manafacturers who have designed the velocity sensitive damping (Bilstein, Koni and Monroe) I still think the Bilsteins have the best system with shim stacks and bi pass.

Anthony
Finally someone looks at making an aftermarket shock that might well retain some ride quality, everything else just seems to be rock hard stuff for track work which isnt really better, just designed to do a different job

Try the Bilstein Sports - that's what I have on my 309 (with standard springs) and they're good. Ride comfort seems just as good as standard, yet they feel much better dampened :P

Rippthrough
Finally someone looks at making an aftermarket shock that might well retain some ride quality, everything else just seems to be rock hard stuff for track work which isnt really better, just designed to do a different job. Wonder how much they will be though? The fact they are OE on a 120k lamborghini does'nt bode well....

Gaz's non-coilover setups seem to be fine on the road, quite close to stock ride quality in fact. Even the coilovers can be specced to road use if you get in touch with one of the distributors like dampertech and talk through your intended use and expectations. All the gaz stuff is made to order so bespoke stuff isn't really a problem for them.

-Phillip

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this