• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
acox99

Standard Crank, What Are They Good Up To?

acox99

whats a standard bottom end good too. i want to use it for a track car, so it will be around 200bhp on throttle bodies and cams, and will need to with stand high revs for long periods. it needs a new crank at the moment as the bottom end has had a tantrum and needs the crank re-ground, is it ok doing that or just get a new one, will it need balanceing beforehand

Jonmurgie
New Member : 1993 405 MI16 - The rebuild project, knackered bottom end

I assume it's that... in which case 200bhp is a breeze for the crank. If ou were talking 8v then that's another thing :)

Sam

Is it ok for 400bhp ? :)

Hilgie

bhp doesn't make a difference....it is high revs on an unbalanced crank that makes them break...

So if your 400bhp comes from a NA Mi16 engine running 12k rpm, it won't do.

If your 400bhp comes from a turboed Mi running 7000 rpm on high boost, it will do fine!

However balancing it properly will extend the life of your engine.

bales

I know this is a bit off topic but in regard to your other topics about your hillclimb 205 mi16 car, what class are you hoping to run in. With an mi16 unless you have a mi16 head on an 8v block (which I think can still be a bit dodgy) won't you have to run in the sports libre class against silly things as it isn't the original engine?

I'm a student like you - well just finished actually and I intend to start next year hillclimbing but from most of my research you will be a bit stuck with a mi16 in a 205 as to what class you are allowed in.

Alex

Batfink

He will be able to run in the modified production class. The engine block has to be original but the head and internals are free.

Sports Libre would be if you used an engine block not native to the car.

welshpug

so a 309, having been sold with a 16 valver (309 GTi16) would be a better proposition?

bales
so a 309, having been sold with a 16 valver (309 GTi16) would be a better proposition?

Yeah you can run an mi16 309 in road modified as they were produced by peugeot even though it was just in france.

Hilgie
produced by peugeot even though it was just in france.

Not just France....the whole of Europe except the UK and Ireland!!

niklas

So.. What revs are safe on the 8v and 16v cranks?

James_m

But whats actually going to fail? ive never heard of anyone actually snapping a crank, or are we talking more of the crank flexing and picking up shells etc?

Sign in to follow this