• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ashnicholls

Rev Counter

Guest ashnicholls

I have just put a GTi engine in my base model 1.1.

How do you wire up the rev counter to the dials.

I am still using the standard 1.1 loom as I am running twin Webers.

Someone told me, it was as easy as picking up a wire from the coil, and connecting to the dials. And its negative earth.

But where on the coil, and where on the dials.

Cheers Ash

pug_ham

What coil type have you fitted, inlet manifold or inner wing mounted?

Inlet manifold mounted one the rev counter feed comes from coil plug, I'll check which pin tomorrow.

The rev counter has a seperate plug on the back of the clocks & that part of the loom probably isn't there on the 1.1. picture here & here.

Graham.

Guest ashnicholls

Yes sorry, I have the square shaped coil. Thats what I wanted to know,

which wire going to coil do you connect it to.

And I thought it was that plug on the dials. So which wire goes to which?

Cheers Ash

Edited by ashnicholls

mishu

Er, I'm sorry to be asking this, but what does the coil look like and where exactly is it (TU1-H1A)? :)

I still have the 1.1 set up, but I'm installing a GTi dash and want to get the rev counter working. I know I should be looking for wire 112, but I don't know where to look (i.e. the coil).

Guest cknotty
Er, I'm sorry to be asking this, but what does the coil look like and where exactly is it (TU1-H1A)? :)

Looking at the engine from the front of the car, the coil is above the distributor, to the right hand side of the rocker cover and oil filler cap. Of course, the king lead should be plugged into it! :)

Chris

mishu

Ah, I just changed the leads last week. So that's the coil.. I thought it was the distributor. Live and learn..

Guest ashnicholls

Mishu, stop hijacking my threads, I dont think the numbers will be correct as we will have a different loom.

I am going to have a play today, and I will tell you how I get on.

Cheers.

mishu

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack anything. :P

From what I've read in previous posts though (and in the dashboard guide o the main site), it is wire 112 you are looking for (coming from the coil) which goes into slot #3 in the (blue) rev counter plug (which goes into the dash).

Good luck with the wiring!

Guest ashnicholls

yes, thats what I saw and was going to try.

I dont see how it works witout a positive supply though?

mishu

The blue plug does have a power source, as well as a ground:

#1 is power

#2 is ground

#3 is 112 from coil

I made a wiring diagram for that plug as well as the others (for converting from the base dash to the GTi dash)

The instrument panel article on the main site was also helpful.

mishu

I haven't had time to check the coil to see which wires it has, but I will do it later today or tomorrow at the latest.

As for the dashboard, I really didn't have enough time to rewire everything, especially considering that I'll have to check first to see which wires I have to split (probably a voltage/ground wire for the rev counter and the signal indicator light (GTi dash has 2, I only have one)), which I have to make longer.. I'll probably get around to the dashboard in the following week.

I'll try to take a lot of photos.

Guest ashnicholls

Oh,

Thats a pain, I was hoping it was just a simple plug in, and then just wire up the rev counter.

My dad used to be an auto elec though, so he will know what to do.

Cheers Ash

Guest ashnicholls

Right me an my dad have been trying.

We have got the rev counter to work, but it is not right, IE Engine speed 6,000rpm = 3,000 on rev counter?????????????

Why would this happen????

We have got a positive and negative from off the dash, and ran a wire to one of the positve wires going into my square coil?????

Is this right??????

Cheers Ash

Sign in to follow this