• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PsychoSimon

Ecu's That Will Support Two Stage Boost

PsychoSimon

evening all.

I have decided after much thought that a 2.0 turbo engine would be the best engine for me in the GTI as it would be as an every day car.

The only proviso of this is that i wold be able to run it on a two stage boost sort of thing like the turbo technics - so that the car would be able to return at least a bit of fuel efficiency.

My question is, will megasquirt be able to cope with this - if not which ecu would allow me to have a switch on the dash say - to flick between high and low boost maps without too much trouble.

Expense i dont think will be a problem as it's gonna take me a while to save up for this.

Any thoughts would be great - cheers guys,

Regards,

Simon

pdd144c

If its mapped at the higher pressure you could still use a setup like the 205TT does, and therefore use any ECU.

I used to run an APEXi boost controller, which had three settings, with my Emerald. Not had any dealings with Megasquirt but I cant see it being any different.

Only thing I found was that I'd use the higher setting all the time.

PsychoSimon

wouldnt this setup you have over fuel for the lower settings? if it is this simple then i'm laughing.

Cheers for your help mate,

Simon

Guest rick03054

How does the apexi work? I was looking at one the other day, is it the same idea as the TT 5th injector controller, completely separate from the ecu?

tom_m
How does the apexi work? I was looking at one the other day, is it the same idea as the TT 5th injector controller, completely separate from the ecu?

it depends which apexi unit you're talking about.

the two you are probably confusing are the AVC-R and the SAFC (II)

pdd144c had an AVC-R which is a boost controller. all it does is control boost pressure (in a very fancy all singing all dancing kinda way :D).

the SAFC (II) (which i think you're talking about) is a fuel computer and acts like a mapped ecu, but instead of controlling the engine it changes the inputs to the standard ecu to 'fool' it into providing the right fueling for your engine

Guest rick03054

Oh, I see now. Damn, that's ruined my plans then :D:)

pdd144c
wouldnt this setup you have over fuel for the lower settings? if it is this simple then i'm laughing.

Cheers for your help mate,

Simon

No as the map sensor will see the change in boost and supply less fuel accordingly.

Might be selling that APEXi soon if anyone is interested.

welshpug

all you need is a way of controlling the boost, fuelling would drop to suit.

so simple boost controller is all you need as long as the ecu is mapped for the highest boost setting.

PsychoSimon

thats all good then!! cheers guys.

also - am i mad for thinking i will get any kind of fuel efficiency with a turbo engine?

would i be better in this sense going for a low pressure turbo setup on say a 306 xsi engine over the standard pug 2.0 turbo?

Regards,

Simon

sonofsam

Im finding it pretty easy to drive round off boost, feels just like an N/A

car.

Havn't filled the tank right up yet so cant really comment on economy, but so far its not to bad at all.

Not really what turbo cars are all about though:P

PsychoSimon

i notice by your signature that you have an 8v turbo. what is it like to drive? and do you have very much lag with your setup?

sonofsam

To drive- An absolute hoot:D Though I've not driven a GTI for over a year so thats probably adding

to the smile factor.

Lag, no nothing really as its only a small turbo, as said you can just pootle around not even being aware

that the turbo is there, however when you push the go button it does take off nicely, and the turbo spinning

up and dump valve blow off is pretty special in a 205, in my book anyway:)

Just trying to get used to the short gear changes at the moment and when to punch it round corners:D

It does pick up rather well imo and its not an engine that needs to be revved hard as all the torque is down low.

tom_m
Might be selling that APEXi soon if anyone is interested.

i might still be interested still if the price is right, but i'm weighing up my options at the moment

PsychoSimon

Thanks for your help sonofsam - i will definately be taking this option i think - as i got quite a good insurance quote today :)

It's all good.....

Malachy

Why use 2 stage boost anyway?

the xu10j2te comes with a boost solenoid utalizethis and run MSnS+extra code on your megasquirt, this supports electronic boost control. (just like having an expensive apexi unit)

this lets you fill in a table of required boost at TPS vs RPM

so say you could set your lower boost at <70% throttle and full boost at >70% throttle

much neater and infinatly adjustable too

a nice thread on turbo bricks about it here

i was running the same thing on my car before i switched to ms2 soon ms2+extra will support boost control anyway :)

Edited by Malachy

TEKNOPUG

How flexible in-car is it though? If you have no way of controlling it whilst on the move then it's only good if you're running more power/torque than you're drivetrain can handle and need to limit the boost accordingly.

TEKNOPUG

Nice website btw

Need some RR figures!

Malachy
How flexible in-car is it though? If you have no way of controlling it whilst on the move then it's only good if you're running more power/torque than you're drivetrain can handle and need to limit the boost accordingly.

you can have a switchable table if needed aswell, this means you would just have an exact copy of your ve table, afr table, spark table, and just adjust the 2nd boost table to your second parameters.

so basically you willhave

ve table 1

spark table1

afr table 1

boost table 1

ve table 2

spark table 2

afr table 2

boost table 2

this are all bound to each other so when you switch to ve table 2 it will also switch to spark 2, afr 2, and boost 2.

however honestly i see no need for this just limit the boost with your right foot, low boost dont go past the tps% you set.

as for rr, my car won't be on the rr until i next summer i expect, ill have the engine out again by then stitch weld the engine bay and then go with a t28 + s16 head and see silly power

Edited by Malachy

PsychoSimon

that is an awesome idea. it's threads like that one that i need to see. Does anybody know where there are more threads like this on the megasquirt?

The 70% throttle thing sounds like a plan as well. You sound as though you know your stuff on the megasquirt. would you mind if i contacted you in the future for help/advise if i need it?

Thanks for the ideas guys,

Simon

Malachy
that is an awesome idea. it's threads like that one that i need to see. Does anybody know where there are more threads like this on the megasquirt?

The 70% throttle thing sounds like a plan as well. You sound as though you know your stuff on the megasquirt. would you mind if i contacted you in the future for help/advise if i need it?

Thanks for the ideas guys,

Simon

there is a 33 page thread on boost control for megasquirt on the msefi forums ill post link later when they are working o_0

as for bugging me sure add me to msn if you want

andy.daniels@dsl.pipex.com

mad professor from here is pretty knowledgable on ms too we sort of help each other along with our silly ideas :)

here is the link

Edited by Malachy

Sign in to follow this