• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim21070

Tuning For Super Fuel Economy

jim21070

What with Brainfluid speaking of an LPG conversion on his 1.6 and both Bitchass205 and I getting low-mid 40s mpg from our standard 1.6s I wonder just how high it can go and how it can be improved.

I've always held an interest in tuning for economy without loosing the pep. Not for me pottering around in a 1 litre shopping trolley for economy as I firmly believe a big engine tuned for high torque low down is the way to go. The 1.6 seems a good basis for an experiment as it has all the right igredients to begin with.

I think 42 - 44 mpg is perhaps the best it'll go without driving like a grandad but can it be improved?

I was thinking along the lines that the old Bosch L-Jet and AFM is not the best set-up for economy with power but I do not want to go for a more sophisticated ECU controlled system.

So I got to thinking after reading much about the Weber 40DCOE. It appears to be a very tunable carb and wondered if a pair of these on a 1.6 with a suitable inlet manifold could allow some really excellent economy figures but still retain the power if the throttle is squeezed hard enough.

Any thoughts or am I being very muddled in my thinking?

Edited by jim21070

Sandy

The original 1219cc (90bhp) Samba Rallye had twin DCOE's fitted as standard and gave better economy at 56mph than the regular 1360 (75bhp). But the Urban Cycle was another matter!

Higher compression with mapped ignition is most likely the way forward for your ambitions, but does mean getting a "proper" ECU.

Rippthrough
The original 1219cc (90bhp) Samba Rallye had twin DCOE's fitted as standard and gave better economy at 56mph than the regular 1360 (75bhp). But the Urban Cycle was another matter!

Higher compression with mapped ignition is most likely the way forward for your ambitions, but does mean getting a "proper" ECU.

Could use a wideband lambda set to run it lean at low engine speeds and throttle openings. Probably be quite happy at 16/17:1 under those conditions.

Edited by Rippthrough

im thinking along the lines of vw and supercharged, turbocharged 1.4!

petert

get a cam from a 75kW DFZ. It has far less overlap than the GTi cams.

Sign in to follow this