• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
clifton

Does Anyone How Any Decent Ways To Lower Gearbox Ratios That Isnt To E

clifton

i want to lower the ratios on my gearbox so i can get better acceleration out of it, anybody got any ideas for me please?

Rippthrough
i want to lower the ratios on my gearbox so i can get better acceleration out of it, anybody got any ideas for me please?

I'm guessing that said 'too expensive'?

In that case small diameter wheels on low-profile tyres, but your speedo will be way out.

Depends what you mean by expensive of course...

Jonmurgie

Welcome to the forum... perhaps if you can give us the model and spec of your 205 then we can best advise on the gear ratios for you :o

clifton

were can i type so it can show the details of my car, im new you see

but its a 1990 1.9 gti sunroof model

and by not too expensive i mean up too about £500

Edited by clifton

C_W

Best bet is to fit a 1.6 final drive to your 1.9 gearbox. Miles on the forum did mine and made a huge difference to the drive, but my engine is an Mi16 which thrives on revs rather than the more relaxed 8v engine.

clifton

who is miles? and how much did it cost you for all that doing for you, and do you no any good places were i can pick up a 1.6 final drive?

clifton

sorry i didnt mean to put my car was a 1.9 its a 1.6, so does any1 no any decent not to expensive ways to lower gear ratios or just ways to get better acceleration?

pug_ham

If your car is a 1.6 you will have a 1.6 final drive already fitted. :lol:

sorry i didnt mean to put my car was a 1.9 its a 1.6, so does any1 no any decent not to expensive ways to lower gear ratios or just ways to get better acceleration?

Have the final drive from an Mi16 fitted into your gearbox.

Miles our resident gearbox wizard.

By the way;

when asking questions or making replies, make full use of vocabulary and grammar which means that "txt spk" and "CAPS LOCK" (aka shouting) will not be tolerated.

Also, only english language is allowed for use in public conversations

Graham.

C_W

A 1.6 is pretty low-geared anyway, the next step would be to fit an Mi16 final drive, which is a bit harder to source and is also OTT for the road, it will just be TOO low geared IMO.

clifton

oh, if that would be to low for road use, what would you recommend doing? or would you just leave it standard as is it?

ben

spike

We put the Mi16 final drive into our Hillclimb cars.I don't think it's too low for road use unless you plan on doing a lot of motorway miles.

edit: no phone numbers please

Edited by jackherer

clifton

are mi16 final drives hard to fit, would you recommend getting someone else to do it for me or try do it myself? and is it worth fitting a quick shift kit onto my car aswell?

ben

spike

I'm not a big fan of quickshifts.

If you can strip a gearbox then you can fit a crown wheel and pinion.

I see you live fairly close to me,i'd be happy to do the work for you.

I've sent you a pm with my phone number.Give me a ring and we can discuss it further.

Cheers

Mike

Sign in to follow this