• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Edd-XS

Anyone Else Had This Happen?

Edd-XS

When removing my front struts (koni's, autofive springs and group N rubbers) one of the bolts had sheared off which pissed me off no end as they were virtually brand new from skip brown! Had certainly done no more then a couple of thousand miles...

Anyway they've been removed for a while now and was looking at the them other day trying to figure out how to get a new bolt in place, when i realised that the outside edge of the pan looked slightly warped, and the 2 remaining studs were leaning away from each other \ / as opposed to | |.

I then went to look at the passenger side strut top on the chassis of my car, and noticed this was slightly warped outwards aswell, compared to the drivers side which is almost perfectly flat.

I did hit a very large pot-hole last year, a few months before I took my car off the road but everything seemed to be in good condition still, although now it would seem that the impact has gone straight up the shock and all the impact was absorbed by the top mount top plate, and strut mount on the car, warping it upwards!

Has anyone else had this happen? To my knowledge the car didnt handle any differentely after the accident but im guessing it would have a noticable affect on handling having one strut assembly, effectively a few mm higher then the other side?

wierd!

Edd

Henry Yorke

Sounds like the new alternative to 309 wishbones and driveshafts for that extra negative camber!

Did you have a strutbrace on at the time? If you hadn't had one, the chassis would have taken the some of the force / flex from the pot hole. If you did, then consider the force from the pot hole and those 6 piddly little 10mm bolts. with no chassis flex, something would have to give and it sounds like the bolts in this case.

taylorspug

Edd, this used to haoppen to mine alot, its not really a problem, i never notice a difference in mine when it happens. Saying that i havent had it since my strut brace has been fitted, so this may be an effective way of strengthening up the top mount (save for welding a big thick plate in!).

One thing to note is that if you hit a pot hole hard enough, it can push the mounting studs up high enough to touch the inside of the bonnet, which puts an annoying dent in it. Ive seen this on a few 205s now. To be safe, i ground about 5mm off the tops of my mounting studs, so maybe this is an idea for the future?

As regards a solution, i got a big block of wood on top of the strut tower and bashed it down flat again, worked out fine. :)

Sign in to follow this