• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamie_st200

Help Help! Urgent Help Needed..

jamie_st200

Alright people, since friday me and 2 friends have been swaping over an mi16 on 45's from one shell to another..

only problem we had was the car that the engine was going in to was originally a gti so had all the wiring for injection..

anyway, swapped everything over and connected everything that i could see conectors for..

went to start it and all we get is backfiring through the carbs and exhaust and if it does run it will not rev and is all over the place...

ive changed the coil and amplifier to the original ones..no joy..

the dizzy is in its original place and the cambelt has not been off... the only thing i can think off is the wiring for the ignition is diferent and will not work with the dizzy i have.. are all 1.9 dizzy's the same??

i dont know what to do next and my friend needs his car for monday...

it does feel as if the timing is out but nothing has been changed..

another question i have is that this car has the dizzy adapter on it but when i look at other peoples the vacuum advance is under the dizzy this one is 180 degrees round the other way with the vacuum advance digphram thingy :( on top although it ran like this great when the engine was in the other car..

sorry post is so long ...

cheers

jamie.

Gentrix

check out the Ecu-Temp Sensor. Sounds like something I had one day after working on the engine. It was only a wire inside the plug, which wasn´t connected

jamie_st200
check out the Ecu-Temp Sensor. Sounds like something I had one day after working on the engine. It was only a wire inside the plug, which wasn´t connected

i dont have an ecu. i dont need it...

:(

jackherer

sounds like you've got the ignition leads in the wrong order perhaps?

jamie_st200
sounds like you've got the ignition leads in the wrong order perhaps?

are they not the same for an mi then? ive got them as 1342. 1 being at flywheel end?

does it matter where they plug in on the dizzy? ive got them going clockwise...

jamie.

Rom
are they not the same for an mi then? ive got them as 1342. 1 being at flywheel end?

does it matter where they plug in on the dizzy? ive got them going clockwise...

jamie.

According to Haynes. The Rotor arm rotates Anti Clockwise. SO Id try swapping the leads round.

My Mi manual is at work. But what youve said is the right order for a 8v

jamie_st200

can anyone confirm that this is the right firing order for a mi16 and that the leads go on the dizzy anti clockwise?

how do i test to see if the coil is getting power?

thanks jamie

jackherer

8v and 16v firing order is the same but you can put the dizzy on 180 degrees out so that it fires on the wrong part of the cycle.

jamie_st200
8v and 16v firing order is the same but you can put the dizzy on 180 degrees out so that it fires on the wrong part of the cycle.

got it running today but had to swing the dizzy as far as it would go anti-clockwise... still not right but does run...

when the dizzy was in its original location the car wouldnt even turn over using the starter motor?? why is this?? undone the dizzy turned it round slighty and it started straight away...

really confused, cant see how changing the timing would stop it turning over/starting..

i can tell my the vaccum advance that the dizzy is on the same way round as it still sits on top..

jamie.

taffycrook

too much advance tries to fire the plugs as the pistons come up the bore, this is bad news for the starter and it can't cope with the pressures created and fails to turn over the engine.

pug309twin40s

defeinetely dizzy timing problem.

you have the firing order corrent 1,3,4,2. cyl1 being gearbox end.

put the dizzy in normal or position pointing upwards and towards bk of car.

then rotate the ht leads round on the dizzy cap until the car starts and runs without missfiring.

Sign in to follow this