• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mbayley77

Fire Nozzels

mbayley77

One for the rally boys I would presume but then who knows :ph34r:

I would just like to know where people have mounted there fire extinguisher nozzels to comply with blue book in there cars.

Pictures are greatly appreciated me thinks.

Thanks

Jonmurgie

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I've recently fitted a couple of nozzels in the engine bay and am only guessing on their location!

boombang

I've got no pics of mine here (and car is few miles away) so drew you this :ph34r:

th_Nozzles.jpg

The things to worry about in an engine bay are the fuel, and the brake fluid. So really you want to ensure it will cover the brake fluid reservoir (get big cable tie and tie it to the m/c too) and from the other side the fuel rail and fuel line unions.

You can tweak the left hand nozzle up towards the reservoir like I have in mine, then run the second nozzle from the side of the coolant tank towards the fuel rail.

Nothing under bonnet is worth worrying about - if the battery causes the fire AFFF isn't going to put it out. IMHO its worth having your hand held as foam purely as if there is a fire which AFFF hasn't put out (pretty likely) you can have a go with that. Don't forget that opening a bonnet with fire under can cause explosions so its best to use your judgement.

Obviously if you use the AFFF and can see the fire has dampened down, you can pop the bonnet with foam in hand and tackle it if it comes back as the foam will keep it out - just as said a judgement call!

BTW at an event so long as you have one nozzle they are happy - my mate has one nozzle that points at his air filter (last owner put it there for some reason). He still competes like that!

mbayley77

Cool thanks for the replies.

I guess you must have some in the passenger compartment as well (sorry if it shows them on your diagram but firewall at work doesnt allow the pic)

I was gonna mount them under the dash pointing at the driver and co driver.

Sorry for double post dont know what happened there???

boombang

I've not got one inside tbh and not yet looked it up in this years Blue Book either.

The plumbed in extinguisher is out at the moment for he work so was planning on putting that all in properly once car was MOT'd and ready.

bren_1.3

best to point one at the carb / carbs / thorttle bodies. where the fuel line reaches it.

most fire nozzles have a 45 degree arc of fire, so use a protractor if you really want to see how much of the bay you can cover.

i think its best to have 2 nozzles in the engine bay

mbayley77

was gonna go for one near the passenger headlight pointing back at 45 and then one above the brake servos pointing towarsds the passenger light hoping to get most coverage.

Sign in to follow this