• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

Urgent Question (basic)

Mike Walker

Just trying to refill my gearbox oil after it all dropped out but struggling to find the filler plug as my Haynes manual hasn't arrived in the post yet.

It's a 1.6 BE1 gearbox I believe. I've found and removed a white/cream plastic plug which is just a push in type thing. This is in the top of the bellhousing (I think) towards the front of the car.

I would have thought this was it as I can't see anything else but to me it does look like it goes directly into the bellhousing and I dont really want to pour gearbox oil in there!

Does anyone know where the filler plug is in relation to other parts of the engine/car, what it looks like, what shape it is, what material it is etc.?

Cheers :ph34r:

welshpug

look into the l/h wheelarch, to the rear of the endcasing youll see the plug.

Mike Walker
look into the l/h wheelarch, to the rear of the endcasing youll see the plug.

Just had a look, can't see or feel anything on the endcasing? Do you need to take the battery out to access it?

notamondayfan

it isnt a plug, its a bolt on the end of the gear box with a copper washer.

the bolt is larger than all the other bolts, and it pretty short in length.

just undo this bolt, and fill you gearbox until the oil is level with the hole, them tighted the bolt again.

Grim.Badger

It's a 19mm plug with a copper washer on the end of the box nearest the wheel. It looks like a bolt :ph34r:

Mike Walker
nope, though the wheelarch.

http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/2058v...ork/gearbox.jpg

see the larger bolt on the r/h end of the endcasing?

hope you dont mind teh link sean! firs piccy that I found :P

Ahh, one of the ones thats actually holding the endcasing on?

How the feck are you supposed to get the angle to actually pour the oil in :ph34r: , perseverence I guess :huh:

welshpug

yup! its a biatch to get to :ph34r: use a 1 litre bottle with the hosey thingy on it, stick it in the hole and squeeeeeze!

dont put too much as it'll just dripple out again!

(thats how you know that its full BTW, when the oil is level with the bottom of the hjole on a level surface you have 2 litres in there)

Mike Walker
yup! its a biatch to get to :ph34r: use a 1 litre bottle with the hosey thingy on it, stick it in the hole and squeeeeeze!

dont put too much as it'll just dripple out again!

(thats how you know that its full BTW, when the oil is level with the bottom of the hjole on a level surface you have 2 litres in there)

Cool, cheers for the help :P

welshpug

thats the one jon! found seans site quicker than yours!

many people dont know the existance of the guides I guess!

Mike Walker
You clearly haven't been looking at the guides on this site or on mine: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/howto4.asp

I'll put your site in my favourites for the future. Did look for guides on here but couldn't find any - just had another quick search and still cant find them. Are they in a specific section or just found using the advanced search tool?

Jacked the car up so it was level and put the oil in. I was surprised that only about half a litre or so went in before it started dribbling out so i'll drive it a little then repeat the process.

Grim.Badger
I'll put your site in my favourites for the future. Did look for guides on here but couldn't find any - just had another quick search and still cant find them. Are they in a specific section or just found using the advanced search tool?

They're on the main site, so click on the 205GTIDrivers.com button on the blue bar near the top of the page, then go to articles.

Ryan
How the feck are you supposed to get the angle to actually pour the oil in :( , perseverence I guess :D

You can also fill it up through the hole the reverse cable screws into, which is easier as it's on the top. Just fit it up until the oil is level with the hole on the end cover.

Mike Walker
They're on the main site, so click on the 205GTIDrivers.com button on the blue bar near the top of the page, then go to articles.

No wonder I couldn't find them! Got it now though :(

You can also fill it up through the hole the reverse cable screws into, which is easier as it's on the top. Just fit it up until the oil is level with the hole on the end cover.

Ah, cool i'll try it that way next time :D

Sign in to follow this